1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plain Black Helmet To "my Helmet" With Vinyl

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by MatiasH, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Just wanted to post a couple of pics after doing my helmet. So, after my crash this May, I've been looking out for new gear and bike. Actually got a new bike yesterday to replace the ST2. Sorry, no Ducati but Aprilia Futura so it's Italian and v-twin :)

During the crash, I had the Caberg Duke commander, and I was really happy that I had a new safe helmet as I didn't have any head injuries (I'll leave that to alcohol and getting old ;) ). So, I wanted to get a cheapish but safe helmet, and all of them seemed just plain black. Also, it had to be a flip-up. Decided to go with a sale item, so plain black, but for a little bit over £150, I thought that the Nolan N91 Evo was a grab.

Ofcourse as a bargain base item, the colour choice was simple, black or grey... Got the black one and started thinking of how to make it my own.

I liked the camo on the Duke commander, but also wanted some things to remind of what I've been through without being tacky or even visible to others. So this is what I did:

Got the helmet, vinyl + vinyl stickers and reflective tape:
    [​IMG]

The pictures on the website showed the Nolan logo in black, so that changed a little bit the front, as I had envisioned some star/sergeant stripes or something else there...

So, some masking tape for the stripes. I put on two layers as not to scratch the helmet when using the scalpel.

[​IMG]

Then, cut into rough form, apply, pull, strech and with heat, get into place and cut. I cut around 2mm inside the edge of the tape. As the edge would show under the vinyl, I could see the lines where to cut.

[​IMG]

This is the final result. I put some reflective tape near the camo to do a stripe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two girls are representing my daughters waiting for me at home. I know it's a little tacky, but tried to put it in a "elegant" way. Also there is a sticker saying "Ducati" on the right, and the date of the accident on the left, but they are in black. That's because the details are for me when I pick up the helmet, you can barely see them normally.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I do like the way it turned out, and I always like a helmet with a story.

Wanted to make this thread just as an example of what can be done on a black helmet with little money and even less talent :p And to those saying the glue on the vinyl will have an effect on the helmet, I would say and old sticker with tough glue on old helmet, maybe. New ones, no way.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Like it fella!
    And don’t worry about the glue thing, I’ve spent my life being told never to put gloves in a helmet because the sweat from the gloves will damage it.
    So the sweat from my head won’t then?...,

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. That's a great result, good job :upyeah: (and Blue Peter would be ever so proud ;))

4. I thought that putting stickers on a helmet could make it grippy in the event of a crash and this could be bad new for the neck? Without stickers the helmet will slide easier along the road and not twist the neck.

But what do I know and wisdom from when I was a kid is now the opposite e.g. forcing kids to finish meals, etc.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information