1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planned Italian Tour In September...tips

Discussion in 'Touring' started by gregsf848, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Hi all,

As per title, a mate and i are heading to italy beginning of september
    a rough route booked of;

day 1 euro tunnel to Nancy (france)
    day 2 Fukka pass (hotel tiefenbach) anyone stayed here?
    day 3 & 4 Bologna factory and museum tour and tavulla also hopefully san marino
    day 5 meeting other half's in Rome
    day 7 pisa
    then start heading home.

So any tips would be appreciated.

Also I've just had new sprockets and a DID chain fitted and have been told it will 'stretch' slightly and with work commintments I'm not going to have time to put some miles on chain and 'stretch' it in before we go, so having adjusted my chain before in the comfort of my garage with all necessary tools to hand, its NOT something i fancy doing roadside, does anyone have experience of ducati dealers in italy must be plenty around? i'm kind of thinking it cant be to hard to pull into a local dealer and get chain adjusted right?.

Cheers in advance.
    Greg

2. I've done four trips to Italy by Multistrada during the past seven years, taking a variety of routes there and back, so I think I can claim some experience. What do you want to know @gregsf848 ?

3. Hi Pete

Was hoping to catch you on this thread
    I hope your feeling better? and yes got a few questions if i may.

As per my post, are ducati dealers fairly plentiful and accommodating (i.e. adjusting chain)
    also weather in italy early september still hot ? as I'm taking lightweight (vented) textiles, i hate being hot on a bike.
    and riding in Rome, I'm told to be careful, mad drivers and bike theft is very high (should i take a chain??.
    Many thanks
    Greg

4. My tip would be for day two.........take the Futa Pass and not the one you planned to take ;)

5. I think he meant the Furka Pass, although the Futa looks a good one.

6. The MotoGP at Misano is on 10 September. Are you planning to see it @gregsf848 ? Or go right past Misano (on your itinerary) without calling in? Misano, Rimini, San Marino, Coriano (home village of Marco Simoncelli), and Tavullia are all very close together and easily accessible.

Re drive chains. Modern chains & sprockets are much more hard wearing than they used to be. For example when I started my recent 2,500 mile tour around France, the chain was perfectly adjusted. I checked it once in a French lay-by and again when I got home; it was still perfect, and required no adjustment whatever. Lubricate it well and often with a good chainspray, and you won't need to adjust it. Unless it was knackered before you started off, of course.

Re Rome. In my experience the traffic in Rome is much the same as in London, Paris, Milan, or most European big cities. Not Naples though - traffic in Napoli is chaotic and hair-raising!

Re security chains. You will need a stout padlock and chain wherever you go, always use it at nights, and possibly in the day too. Your insurance company will no doubt insist on it.

Re Ducati dealers. I suggest you look up on the internet Ducati dealers in the main places you intend to visit, write their details on a sheet of paper and carry it with you. Just in case, for peace of mind.

Re weather. It will not be as hot in September as in July/August.
    Always carry a bottle of drinking water in your tankbag. Remember that in the high Alps it can be chilly or freezing, raining or snowing so you need clothing to suit.

Re routes. For crossing the Alps a limited number of options exists. Here's a suggestion. On the way down, head for the St Gotthard. If the weather is good, take the pass; if it's bad, take the tunnel. On the way back, plan a route taking in some or all of the Nufenen, Furka, Grimsel, and Susten passes; there aren't tunnels, so its the high passes rain or shine.

Re Pisa.
    IMAG0120.jpg

If you want to go up to the top of the leaning tower, you have to book in advance, if it is even open at all. The spot from which I took this photo is the ultimate tourist trap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Beware of the toll roads (autostrada) & have cash/coins on hand if you end up on one, as you pay at the end. Unlike Slovenia or Austria where you pay for vignette's (motorway use) but can still end up on private toll roads & you pay at the start.

ps: Look at getting a post office travel money card. This reduces the conversion fee's banks love to add for converting pounds to euro's.
    @chizel

#7 GunZenBomZ, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. By the way, if you visit the Stelvio Pass it is much further east than the Gotthard. For getting home from the top of the Stelvio the options are either:
    (A) take the Resia pass to Nauders (Austria), Landeck, westwards across Austria to Bregenz, then across Germany north-west via the Black Forest and into France at Strasbourg; or
    (B) cross into Switzerland and take the Umbrail, Mustair, Fluela route to Davos, north to Zurich, then cross into France at Basel.

9. The Futa (and Raticosa) is a great riding road, but it's below 3,000 feet and not in the Alps at all. It's near Mugello, on the old road from Bologna to Florence through the Appenines. Ducati reputedly use it for testing.

By the way, if you were in Pisa wanting to head back north may I suggest the SS12 from Pisa to Modena via Lucca, Abetone, and Maranello. At Abetone it reaches 4,500 feet. Ferrari and Maserati traditionally used it for testing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Some places refuse to accept pre-paid money cards, I have noticed. Take ordinary credit and/or debit cards as well.

11. Yeah of course they do Pete because they can't manipulate the exchange rate. Meaning you get hit with an exchange rate & then your banks handling fees when using debit/credit-cards. But the good thing about pre-paid cards is you can take the money out at ATM's.

12. You've got time to get a Sanef toll thingy,
    https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
    We've had one for a few years, saves pissing about at toll booths looking for cards or cash. Not sure if it works in Italy but if your intending to blat through France on the toll roads I'd recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. If using furka,neufen etc passes allow time for taking pics! . Amazing scenery with even better roads.

14. Ok, can i ask why?, is the futa a better riding road?

15. Many thanks,Yes kindly have allowed for that.

16. Many thanks pete, great advise as always i will take heed on all mentioned
    unfortunalty we will miss the motogp on the 10th which is a shame, also not quite decided on our route back yet.
    we're still looking at options from pisa onwards...

17. Thanks, i'll look into this

18. Yes i've been told the same pete, gonna take plenty of cash and cards.

19. I climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa in August 2015 years ago and didn't book in advance. However I made sure I was there just before the ticket office opened first thing in the morning (8 ish - I'm sure the website would say). My tip for Pisa is to get there early, especially before the cruise ships disgorge busloads of passengers.

The Simoncelli museum in Coriano is good, and I was pleasantly surprised by Pizzeria da Rossi (also home of the fan club shop) in Tavullia - good food and service, not the rip off I'd expect from somewhere celebrity related.

If you want to make a loop including the Futa pass from Bologna, you could head one way over the Futa, turn round somewhere near Fiesole (just outside Florence) and head the other way over the Muraglione pass with the short side of the triangle being the motorway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Hi there,
    I've been to Italy every year for about the last 20 years.
    Driving standards in the countryside is generally good, but when it comes to Rome, with big wide boulevards, you have to watch for traffic passing you on either side, going like the clappers!
    It's mainly the scooters that you have to watch for, much faster than any sports bike!! I've seen loads of accidents in Rome with scooters involved, mainly because the riders dart all over the place.
    A tip is to get away from traffic lights first, and keep ahead of the carnage behind!
    Pisa , for me is a bit mehh. There is the tower and that's it. If there was a choice, I'd do Florence or Siena , or even Luca, much nicer cities.
    Keep off the motorways as much as possible in Tuscany, you will find many a hilltop town. Cortona is lovely, and great roads. Lots of car manufacturers use this area for press launches.
    In cities, especially places like Rome and Pisa, watch out for signs for no vehicular access. I've been done a few times with that looking for parking spaces.
    Weather in September will still be nice, but you do get the odd thunder storm, with masses of rain.
    Enjoy, you'll love it!
    Cheers
    Dave

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information