1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning 2017 Trip Touring Around France Mainly

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Pete1950, Oct 1, 2016.

1. My thoughts are beginning to turn to a continental ride in approx June 2017 by Multistrada, health permitting.

One option would be to ride via Austria down the coast of Croatia/Bosnia as far as Montenegro (Crna Gora). I have been there before, but not since 1970; fond memories of Split, Dubrovnik, Cetinje, etc.

Another option would be to cross France and Spain as far as Gibraltar & Andalusia, which I have never seen. Granada!

Both options are about 1,300 miles each way from Calais by the shortest routes so about 3,000 miles total after a bit of sightseeing, which is easily doable in 20 days or so - and that is allowing for several rest days.

I have plenty of time to ruminate about which I would like to see the most. Any comments?

• Like Like x 1
  2. sounds fun

3. Spain. Go direct to Santander by ferry. Wander around the Iberian peninsula for 20 days. Emerse yourself in the culture and history. Stay in places away from the tourists. Drink Rioja (in moderation!). Eat iberico ham. Done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll not be taking the Santander ferry, because I have done so several times before and because I like riding across France by a variety of routes. There are also several places in France I want to see (or see again) on my way down or back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've not ridden in Spain, but if you haven't been to Andalusia, you must go.

Granada is fantastic but you'll need to book your Alhambra visit in advance - don't just expect to turn up and get in. The Alhambra is a victim of its own success in terms of popularity with tourists but it is an amazing place and well worth a visit. My sister and I stayed in the Hotel Isabel La Real, which I could certainly recommend. Granada still has (or had when I was there 6 years ago) the tradition of free tapas in bars as a snack when you order a drink so you could spend a very pleasant evening drinking and grazing your way round town.

If you find the Moorish moreish, and want some days off the bike doing touristy stuff, well worth visiting Seville as well. The Alcazares Reales (Dorn in Game of Thrones) has amazing tilework and most agreeable gardens, and it's a pleasant city to potter around on foot. The Mezquita/cathedral in Cordoba is also interesting - to me, it is the clash of civilisations, Islam and Christianity writ large in stone. (Personally I loved the Islamic architecture and hated most of the Catholic additions to the original building but YMMV!)

I can't remember if you're a satnav user or strictly old school analogue maps, Pete. Ride magazine has had a touring supplement on Spain, and they normally make their suggested routes available as gpx files to download from the website.

6. Better roads in Spain. Lots of interesting ways to go down & back. Try Cuenca and Sierra Demanda. A long time since I was on the coast of Croatia, but I remember the roads being fairly demanding. Austria is nice, if you go thriough the Alps.

If it makes things easier the routes through France (I don't much like riding in France) are slightly better east to west than north to south, but I prefer Spain - I go every year. Don't forget what Mrs 772 says about the Alhambra. There's a cheap hotel nearby with a garage, if you need it. Can't remember the name. If going to Gib, try the road through Sierra Ubrique and Los Alcornales. Makes sense if doing Seville first, but there's a nice hotel at Zahara de la Sierra. Lovely stop.

A fellow MS rider.

7. Andalusia if beautiful and has some great roads but don't go mid summer. It will be too hot.

8. I know the 'Magistrale' coast road pretty well. It used to be a nightmare, as it carried all the traffic down through Croatia. However it has been bypassed by a motorway now and has been resurfaced, so it's now a twisty, curvy playground. Last time I did it, I got stuck behind a convoy of motorhomes, which was a pain but that was driving a car. No problem for a bike though...

9. Feel free to drop in here on your way down or back, should you go through France. We would be happy to help out in any way that we can.

10. A difficult choice but both sound like a winner.

11. I'd go for Spain. The roads near Gibraltar are phenomenal. Especially the A397 from San Pedro de Alcantara to Ronda - 45KM of shell-gripped perfection that you'll want to ride over and over again. There are so many good roads there (better than anything in the UK south of Scotland) that you can't throw a stone without hitting one. Check out the Ride magazine site: RiDE -The RiDE Guide to Spain

Plus, you can hop into Gib. for cheap petrol and Cuban cigars and whisky that are a third of the price of the UK ;)

Loads of cultural stuff around there too.

12. ... the patron saint of artificial seat covering materials.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. If you do find yourself near Gib, suggest a peruse in the Port at Sotogrande.
    Varied pleasant eateries and normally a few bikes/bikers watching the world go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. There's an Alcantara Gorge in Sicily as well

15. Agree with all the above... Ronda is a fantastic place to visit. I can also recommend the run from Seville across to the sierra de Huelva and Aracena.

16. I am now planning a slightly shorter trip, essentially touring all round France but not going far into Spain. Crossing by Tunnel on 12 July, then a few days in Paris to start with but I haven't settled on a route after that. Somehow I want to fit in the Normandy beaches, the Dordogne, the Pyrenees, Carcassonne, Millau, the Ardeche, Mulhouse & the Vosges. This will probably take about three weeks, allowing for some sightseeing and resting days in between riding.

The new Multistrada DVT is fully run in now and nicely set up just how I want it. I'll just have a fresh set of Michelins put on the wheels, and the tyre pressure monitoring system, and set off. Has to be Michelins for France, doesn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Can recommend a B&B place in the countryside just outside Carcassonne, if you're interested I can try and dig up some details. The owner is into restoring Mustangs and the local Harley dealer offered him anything out of his showroom in exchange for one of his restored Mustangs, so he's now a Harley owner but don't hold that against him.
    I think we found it on Chambre d'Hotes and it's called something Ferme or Ferme something and has plenty of private parking and an amazing communal breakfast, so you actually get to chat with other guests from all over Europe and the world.

18. https://www.chambres-hotes.fr/chambres-hotes_domaine-la-sauzette_palaja_25264.htm
    Nothing to do with Ferme - just goes to show how memory can play tricks.
    This is the place though

19. I can vouch for the Dordogne, the Pyrenees and Carcassonne as they are in this area. The Ardeche is also fantastic around the town of Aubenas and on down the river.
    As I live here, I have no desire to visit Paris, but I understand that tourists do want to go there.
    The Normandy beaches is a great few days trip and a week can cover that and the first world war areas, but I would do that as one separate trip.
    If the weather is bad up north then shoot south first and do the north afterwards in the hope that it has improved.
    Enjoy yourself and remember that the French eat their main meal at lunchtime and out of the tourist areas it can be difficult to find food in the evenings. You will find a lunchtime "Menu de Jour" for about €13 in every small village and town.

• Like Like x 1
  20. After a recent episode of ours whereby matey trashed a tyre, it may be prudent to collate some tyre fitters/suppliers in France. Esp as matey trashed on a Sunday, everythings shut on a Monday and that was our scheduled home trip day. He returned a day late. But a 200/55/17 wasnt easy to find. He had to fit a 190 to get home. Serves him right though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information