1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic Tank Painting/filling

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nasher, Apr 29, 2021.

1. I've picked up a very cheap used tank for my M1000.
    The original has a few marks and some bubbling paint around the filler.
    I also want to change the decals which are under the lacquer, so am looking at a respray anyway and thought a replacement could be worked on whilst I can still run the bike to do other jobs.

The original and replacement are plastic.

The tank has some impact damage which has flaked off some large areas of paint all the way down to the plastic, so I'll need to paint and/or fill some areas of bare plastic.
    I've rattle canned plastic fairing panels and car bumpers in the past by simply using an etch primer underneath, but not knowing what the tank is made of I'm not sure if that's going to work.
    And it certainly wouldn't work for filler.

Does anyone have any Filler and etch primer product recommendations that stick like the preverbal to Ducati plastic tanks?

Ta

Nasher.

2. A paint guru told me to always use special flexible primer to reduce cracking. I always use E-Tech ER00110-ET Plastic Transparent Flexi-Primer. Is it better or necessary - who knows but I don't have any issues and its not wildly expensive so it seems worth it! Amazon in 24 hours.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. There should be a moulded-in material stamp/marking (mainly for recycling info) somewhere on it so that may help when selecting paint compatibility.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information