1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Play In Rear Shock Bush?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by mak24seven, Mar 26, 2016.

1. I noticed today when the bike is on the centre stand I can lift the back wheel up by 1cm, this is not spring compression but seems to be play in the shock at the top mounting although I haven't removed any panels to check where the play is yet.
    Can any one have a go with there bike and let me no if this is normal please. The bike is a 2011 s touring .

2. I would say (without having looked at any bike) not normal. There should be little or no up down play as you describe. Once when having my suspension set by a nice man from Ohlins, he commented that there was bad up down play in my rear suspension. He and I could feel the knocking, but the movement at the rear tyre was almost imperceptible.

3. It does seem odd, with the bike off the stand the play is obviously not there but can be replicated by lifting from the sag with the frame, I will whip off the side panel tomorrow to reveal where the top shock is mounted and see whats going off. I was hoping for some good bank holls weather to get some me and bike riding time in but that doesn't look promising with the weather :-(

4. Check che lower bolt. It can loose itself without be dangerous, so don't panic :) . You have to remove:

- exhaust
    - rear wheel
    - rear mud guard (the one attached to the swingarm)
    - use a rope or something to support the swingarm, it will bend the cat if you don't
    - insert an 8mm allen socket inside the hole. I use a 1/4 inch with extension, but maybe you can use even a 1/2 inch long socket, don't know.
    - tight it to 42nm.
    - install everything else in reverse

5. Yikes that sounds quite labour intensive lol, I will have a look tomorrow and report back :)

6. I noticed something similar when my 1200 skyhook is on the centre stand.
    If you push downwards on the rack/grab rail so the rear wheel touches the ground. You will feel a very small amount of play.
    I too was worried about this, so tried the same thing on three brand new Multistrada's at my local dealer.
    They all had the exact same amount of what feels like play in the rear suspension.

Hope this helps

Deaks :)

7. Nah, 20 minutes max ;)

8. Had the seat and side panel off today to see what's what, its not actually free play it is just spring compression and shock movement :) .
    Roll on some sunshine for a nice weekend ride out one week.

9. Got the bike MOT'd yesterday, passed with a couple of advisories, the main one being wear in the top rear shock mount bush. There is a little play, and tester said nothing to worry about yet, maybe something to sort over the winter. He also suggested polyurethane bushes?? (I think)
    It is definitely the top bush and not the bottom.
    just over 20000miles but majority of them are fully loaded 2up.
    Anyone else had this?

10. I just send my Multistrada 1200S for service and they found play in bushes on rear suspension ..They sugest to change the full suspension and I'm not happy with this its around £1400 on top of the big service

11. Mateip
    Seems excessive recommending changing the whole suspension if the bush is worn! Surely it’s just a matter of replacing the bush? Bushes are designed to wear eventually to save the bore of the machined part of the bore. Labour I’m sure would be similar to the suspension replacement, but the cost of a bush is peanuts in comparison ....

12. Mateip
    Seems excessive recommending changing the whole suspension if the bush is worn! Surely it’s just a matter of replacing the bush? Bushes are designed to wear eventually to save the bore of the machined part of the bore. Labour I’m sure would be similar to the suspension replacement, but the cost of a bush is peanuts in comparison ....

13. The rear shock bushes are not shown in the parts list, so are not available from Ducati. But they can be got. For the pre-DVT models the top bearing is in the frame and can be had from Ducati. For the Sachs unit on the base models the bottom spherical bearing is a GE12 PW and costs about £25. It might be same the same for the Öhlins but I don't know.

#13 Derek, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. I wonder if MOT stations even know what’s normal on these bikes. It’s a fairly regularly asked question: is my shock faulty? And they normally aren’t. There is a lot of lateral play as standard in these. Unless it’s been used off-road and/or the winters of the nordics, why would a multi bush be failing by now? Is it the bottom one? I alsways blow the water out of mine, as it will sit forever so the bottom eye is constantly submersed after washing if you don’t. I wonder of that creates the issues?

15. I had to replace the bottom bearing in my 2010, at near 40,000 miles perhaps that wasn't surprising. Getting the bottom bolt out was a huge task that I have detailed elsewhere in this forum.
    Mine also used to fill up with water around the bottom bushing and I'd clear the drain hole with a bit of wire every few weeks but it always blocked up again. While I had the shock out I had a look at it. The drain hole is only 3mm and consequently gets blocked very easily with muck from the road. So while the shock was out I drilled the hole out to 6mm and repainted the bare metal with an etching primer then satin black to prevent corrosion. Hopefully that will keep the shock end free from sitting in a pool of water, to the benefit of it's current and future owners.

16. There should be virtually no perceptible vertical play at the rear wheel. Which was the case with mine after I replaced the bottom bearing. Before that there was about 10mm.
    I'm not sure what you mean by lateral (side to side) play?

17. I though the same about replaces the suspension at this time. I have 16500 miles from May 2015 and is been 6 months since I'm out of 2 years warranty.
    The guys from the Ducati service told me they will try to sort out the parts soon. Just a bit in shock when I saw the bill.

18. Cheers for reply guys and for valuable information about finding the parts!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information