1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Please Help With A 1260 Mts Decision

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rizzo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Hi There,
    I currently own a 2017 Aprilia Factory Tuono, it’s my second one after owning lots of sportsbikes- a familiar story I guess....

I did two European tours on my 2016 model and it performed really well, however, I was riding with Friends all on sports tourers/ adventures and I was a little envious of the luggage, fuel range, wind/weather protection and comfort.

I am procrastinating on a decision to sell and purchase a 2018 MTS 1260S or Pikes Peak (PP is my preference swayed by looks really!)
    I wondered if anybody would be some kind to give me some feedback in terms of ownership, riding, touring etc please?
    Also I’m slightly concerned in terms of reliability of the MTSfollowing reading some forum content. ThT said I’ve owned 5 Ducati’s so I’m not overly concerned in terms of reliability
    Any feedback would be much appreciated please.
    Many thanks Rizzo

#1 Rizzo, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. I'd go for the S over the PP, the PP seems to be a hell of a lot of money for not a lot extra, but that's just my opinion.
    Why not keep the Tuono and get the S ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The PP will turn heads but the comfort of easily changing dynamics on the bike suspension using the electronic control gets my vote; 1260 S.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Buy a 1098R. Happy to help.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The best thing about the PP is its much easier to upgrade suspension. Heavier springs, revalving and being able to rebuild them.

6. Yeah, buts that's after you've just spent a fortune to buy it in the first place ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. You want help with your decision?

Ok, here goes.............

A. If you want it then buy it.
    B. If you don't want it, then don't.

HTH

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I got a great deal on mine, Springs are cheap, under $300usd for both. The stock ones were way undersprung, I knew I would need heavier springs on the “S” or the PP. Knowing the PP was easier to swap, I went that direction..

If you weigh 175lbs and never carry a passenger, stock springs on either model will be fine.YMMV

9. I don't really get the Multi thing. I’ve ridden a 1200 S a lot. Fast, comfortable and WAY too easy to travel around at triple digits. Why do you want it so easy though? If you want lots of luggage space and extreme comfort, buy a sportscar?

I toured Europe on my Scrambler without too much effort. I even took camping gear! You just have to buy modern hiking camping/travel stuff, it's all amazingly lightweight,tiny and probably costs less than a single official Ducati pannier... If you're staying in hotels, why all the luggage?

When I was in the Alps, having an absolute riot on my little Scrambler, I found myself wondering why all these guys on heavily laden S1000XR's, 1200gs' and Multistrada's had ridden all the way to the best biking roads in the world, at great expense, only to arrive there on their ballast laden battleships :thinkingface:

I've spent a lot of time on a 1200gs too, both excellent bikes and ride way better than they have any right to but confronted with a lovely twisting Alpine pass, I think I'd much prefer to be on a Tuono...no?

If you're just sightseeing and it's not about going full street Rossi and attacking every bend, take a Honda CB90... It will be more fun and you'll make a lot more friends. Guarantee it.

The flip side being, your mates might be jealous that once you arrive at biking Nirvana, you're on the perfect machine. They have to look on in envy, from the seat of their big compromise.

Disclaimer before an MTS owner tries to lynch me: If you're travelling with a pillion, MTS makes much sense. The Multi is a fantastic machine but I just don’t understand it.
    It’s like the Porsche Panamera of bikes. Stupid fast for its size but a Boxster or Cayman is always going to be more ‘fun.’

#9 Joooooooosh, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Crap Crap x 3
  10. I have the enduro. But then again I came from a GSA. Reliability is more or less the same across the board for all manufacturers. It’s your dealers willingness to deal with an problems that is more important. I had some issues. Minor ones and dealt with to my satisfaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 1260s have one on order had a 1200dvt for 2 years with no issues and loved it, as does the missus for a comfort perspective, if you’re planning riding as I do regularly 2 up and equally on me Tod then go for the S

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Can't say much about the DVT models in general, especially the newer 1260. I just didn't like the 'sit in' feel of the dvts I tested but that's all subjective and personal taste.

I had a 1200S 2012 which I really enjoyed, I think from memory that was just after my Tuono V4 2011 Aprc. Those earlier Tuono's were definitely harsher than the newer ones that's for sure, and riding position put me at a weird angle which after longer runs literally broke me to the point it was painful. The new ones feel much better though and I'm always tempted to get another(16+)

The multi 1200 I had was great fun, mine had a higher seat which made it feel like a bigger supermoto (on top riding style)

For anything longer distance then the multistrada and Xr's of this world will definitely be more comfortable, the latter (which I also owned) was probably the most sporty of them and I could easily hang with my superbike riding mates on the way too, and around the nurburgring. But the multi was pretty much as quick and more grunt out of a slow turn corner.

One things for sure, if you're a quick and competent rider, you shouldn't have much trouble keeping a similar pace on the roads vs the Tuono with an XR or multi (2010 onwards) especially if you've setup the suspension.

I'm afraid to say that any notion that a scrambler would keep up with them is a little ambitious. It's not to say that it's impossible, but a rider of a decent standard would be quicker on the multi or XR in my opinion unless they'd taken the kitchen sink with them, even then I still reckon a scrambler, amongst many other bikes, would struggle. 150bhp in the right hands will easily surpass a scrambler having its neck rung

Having said all that I currently ride a 1290sd, took that to the nurburgring and black forest last year and comfort wise I didn't have a bad thing to say about it. Whacked the passenger seat on and strapped up a kriega us30 and a kriega backpack. I'm 6ft 3 and even on the autobahn 'making progress' I can't say that I even thought about wind blast, until I was going at unsustainable speeds.......those are the type you feel guilty about after a few miles :)

Just test ride is all I can say, take the Tuono along a route you know and then take the multistrada, I bet you'd be impressed, ride it like you stole it

#12 damodici, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. No way Damo.... Guarantee it !! :cool::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Well yeah ok, you'd have to be a piss poor rider, or out for a leisurely tootle, if you had your ass handed to you by a scrambler whilst riding a setup XR or newer multistrada.

That better? Or is it still too sugar coated?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I would be interested to know how many have taken the route from DVT to the 1260, or people like me sitting on the fence? and they not going out the door like the DVT did?

16. 100% agree. I thought your first answer was very polite and restrained Damo, whereby I thought the whole lot was just a load of old shite :p

#16 Wayne58, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2018
  17. I tried a 1260 this week, and this is only my personal opinion so don't lay the boot in people, but I preferred the DVT, and won't be jumping ship for a 1260.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fair comment :)

Although it's sometimes nice to hand over the olive branch of 'that's bollocks buddy' wrapped in a nicer way, before going in full pelt obviously.

I'll leave initial full pelt to you and giggle in the background ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. That's bollocks buddy o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FFS Wayne, you can't retrospectively issue a 'that's bollocks buddy'

It needs to be fresh out the blocks man :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information