1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing - Best Method?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ministry, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I'm thinking more for my car really, but it also apply's to the bike.

I normally use AutoGym Super Resin, a polishing cloth and lots of elbow grease. But still think it could look better and be an easier job to do.

What are your recommendations? (apart from paying someone else to do it!!!)

clay bar? electric drill polish attachments? dremmel?

2. Elbow grease, cup of tea (may need more than 1), lots of time.

3. Hmm,

Clay bar will remove contaminants but will induce marring, I would be really careful with a drill with attachments, because the head could produce to much heat you could get in to all sorts of paint problems.

I had my 1198, "detailed" by one of the top guys on the forum mono749 suggested, and it looks fantastic but even he said that he was using the softest pads and polishing compound that he had and it was still correcting in no time, as the paint was so soft. So be careful.

Maccaa

4. Out of curiosity Meccaa, how much did you pay? I sadly don't have the time to clean my bikes to such standard any more :( And am thinking of getting a pro in to do the 748 for it's sale.

5. Hi freshage, I will check,(invoice is in the garage) but I but I had my wifes TTs, done at the same time so I could probably let you know the day rate. The guy I used is based in Newbury, so he's not a million miles from you. i'll pm you his detail a little later.

Maccaa

6. Awsome, cheers mate :D

If the price is right, defo consider doing it.

7. Hi, freshage, are you sitting down....I think its about £175.00 for the day, he gave our JCW mini a freshen up as it was "done" couple of years ago and then did the Bike, I guess it was only a few hours on the bike but he may have a minimum charge i.e a day. The paintwork does look like glass though and you may want to keep her!!

Don't forget he cannot work miracles, if you have really deep scratches, he only has a certain amount of topcoat to work with.

I will pm his details then its over to you

Do Not Sell My Personal Information