1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing Exhausts. (sc Project Full System)

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by comfysofa, Mar 30, 2018.

1. As above...never been able to find a definitive answer....now the bike is in a million pieces its spawned all sorts of bits to clean this biggest one being this....not sure what material although is suspect stainless and the whole lot bar the tail pipes is a shitty brown. Any ideas ?

I don't really want to get it coated as the last time I had 2 sets of pipes coated the ones on the rsv4 stained really badly and the ktm525 header went shit when the rust pushed through and it did that one the second ride out. So effectively both were a waste of money.

2. Brass rotary wire brush(defo brass, not steel brush,) Solvol autosol :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PS, don't put the autosol on the wire brush, use the brass brush to take off the tarnish, autosol on a cloth to bring up the shine.....

#3 Wayne58, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2018
  4. To Halfords!!!..... (tomorrow)....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Got a wooden handled wire brush?....motorized better im guessing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. @comfysofa , these wheel bolts went through 2 winters, this was the result solely with the brass wire in a drill. Now polished, laquered and re-fitted :upyeah:
    IMAG0016.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yes mate, hand brush will leave more lines and steel brush turns metal grey, brass does not leave a grey tarnish. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Harpic is your friend apparently. I've never done it 'cause mine don't need it but it looks promising. Blue off from ebay keeps the pipes up together with some autosol. I don't like the sound of power wire brush!

#8 Jez900ie, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. Nore did I jez, but with a brass rotary brush, strangely, it works :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Still needs a bit of autosol after, but the brass rotary was a tip from a fabricator friend, and bizarrely, it worked ?? Test on a very small area first obviously :upyeah:

11. To Tescos!....( tomorrow ).... Then.... Halfords! ( also tomorrow)...Gonna get the autosol but try the harpic thing....more to point never heard of ( or seen ) a brass rotary wire brush...what does that look like...?

#11 comfysofa, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  12. To Tescos!....( tomorrow ).... Then.... Halfords! ( also tomorrow)...Gonna get the autosol but try the garlic thing....more to point never heard of ( or seen ) a brass rotary wire brush...what does that look like...?

13. Garlic? Are you French?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Touche....spellchecker...

15. What did you use to relaquer ? And how did you do that...?

16. Make sure that the bristles are brass and not brassed steel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Perfect. Thanks. I'll order some of those. Looks like I've got Labour to produce....guess the film....

18. Scottish brite on an orbital sander. You’ll save yourself a few hours work. Then the wet n dry / autosol.

19. Halfords do brass ones mate, they are gold in colour and are bare brass, not steel which leaves a grey residue. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information