1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing Fairings 998

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Zeabaer, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences to share with polishing fairing work?
    I see a lot of posts around here but cant make up where to start.

I have some light swirls on the paintwork all over the 998.

As far as I know you can remove it from cars after a proper clean, claying, then polishing and waxing.

But I have no idea how this goes on Ducati fairings (and tank) it seems more sensitive and maybe it might damage decals?

I am also planning to change the tank pad sticker. Any advise on removing this without damaging anything?

So if anyone has some (detailing) experiences to share I would love to read about it.

Thanks!

Z.

2. @rob lewis might be along to give some professional advice.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. As above, our resident guru Rob is your man :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. For removing the tank pad you need some gentle heat, plenty of how to videos for it on youtube

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Good tip again Denzil. Thanks!

6. Good advice, thanks!

7. Hiya Buddy......use a heat gun to gently heat the tank pad this will make it easy to remove. There will be some remaining glue residue ....remove this with this;
    https://carpro.uk.com/collections/tar-tree-sap-fallout-removers/products/tar-x-tar-bug-remover-500ml
    You could remove / hide the the swirls by HAND using this all in one....meaning it will remove light swirling, fill in deeper marks and provide protection so all 3 therby its an all in one.
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/bilt-hamber-cleanser-polish.html
    It really is amazing stuff.....if you want extra protection then you could apply some wax over the top which will give you increased durability.....use this;
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/bilt-hamber-double-speed-wax.html
    together with the Cleanser Polish it is an awesome combination and will provide many many months of durable protection....
    If you would like to call me to discuss process / procedure then please feel free to call me on 07960 544461
    But theres nothing to be afraid of using the above products.....you will not damage any decals etc....

• Like Like x 2
  8. With regards to heat guns, general rule of thumb '".if it's to hot for your hand it's to hot for the paint".

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I did state 'Gently' heat....lol....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The wife's/ daughters hair dryers perfect!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hi Rob,

That’s some aweasome advice, I will try it out in a few weeks and order these products. Less scary to know that it’s possible without machinery.
    Keep you posted on the process later on.

Thanks!

Z.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Good tip, will do! Seems I will have to confiscate my wife’s hairdryer... :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi Rob,

Just tried to purchase your advised products on polishedbliss.co.uk but looks like they are out of Bilt Hamber Cleanser-polish. Do you have any advice for a replacing product or do you know if these things get back in stock quickly in this shop?
    Thanks!

Z.

14. Hi Zeabaer i purchased the same product after seeing this post a couple of weeks ago and have to say its brilliant the way it brings the paint back to life. they are like new again and it might be worth waiting for the cleanser polish to come back into stock its a super product and very easy to use. regards jay

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hi Buddy...get your cleanser polish from www.ultimatefinish.co.uk - they have it in stock....its amazing stuff so I do not recommend alternatives. Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks for the info Rob,
    Just purchased the items recommended by yourself. I will give them a try on my 1098 when it stops raining :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. I just use Mr Sheen and a yellow duster (imagining rob collapsing in a pile of "oh no he didn't") :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Oh yes he did...;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Put the Double speed wax on nice and thin ( don't slap it on as it will be like concrete to remove )....so you can hardly see it go on...leave 10 mins then buff off....wait and hour and put another coat on....

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information