1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poppies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stevie Tea, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Used to be that everyone had the same sort of poppy but for some time now various people, mainly in the media, have worn larger fancy poppies. Now I notice a lot of people are wearing small enamelled poppies rather than the standard British Legion ones.

Am I alone in thinking that the poppy was a real leveller and that in its simplicity it was an iconic symbol of remembrance that cut across our silly class/fashion boundaries? To my mind something is being slowly eroded and lost in what seems to be an element of snobbery or fashion being applied to the wearing of a poppy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. No you are not alone and with many of the gawdy poppies on sale where not all the money goes to the British Legion I agree with you. However the small enamel brooch is to commemorate 100 years and will be available for a suggested minimum donation each year until 2018. All the profits from this I understand go to the BL. Hope this helps a little. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Competitive compassion, the curse of the luvvie classes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Surly if someone buys the enamel broach they are unlikely to purchase another poppy of any description in future years defeating the object of raising funds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Some of the girls at work have knitted poppies to raise more money for the poppy appeal
    I bought one last year but still gave money this year
    We sold out of the knitted ones in a hour
    There has also been a poppy stall with regular poppies

• Like Like x 1
  6. Who makes the enamel poppies? Aren't most of the proper poppies still made by disabled servicemen for the RBL?

7. Rememberance Sunday. Fitzroy Memorial, East Falkland. Surrounded by the Prince of Wales' Company of the Welsh Guards Regiment, singing "I vow to the my country...".
    Every single one of them wearing a standard paper poppy - not a single "luvvie" version anywhere.
    And yes, I did feel a bit like the token Englishman...

• Like Like x 1
  8. The standard poppy manufacture is on a fully automated machine, I saw it being constructed at one of out automotive robotics suppliers a few years ago - it was on tv a few days ago too.

9. Several different companies make "luvvie" style enamel poppies; not all of the money they make from them goes to the RBL...

10. Some years, I am able to reuse the previous year's poppy because it is still in good shape and hasn't been lost. I usually joke with people that I save money this way by reusing the poppy instead of "buying" a new one but of course, I make a donation each year regardless.

A reusable poppy, especially one that can stand up to the wear & tear of a few days at work, is a good thing in my opinion. I'll need to see whether I can locate an enamelled version tomorrow.

11. Mine never last a week. I always end up putting a coat or a jumper on over the top and that trashes them or they vanish altogether and I'm just left with the pin.

12. I wear an enamel one, bought from the Royal British Legion Poppy shop online site, and have a crochet one, all donations to same cause. I donate several times each year as well. When I bought the paper ones I could lose it within yards, you never ever see them lying around though, they must go where all the biro's go.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not all of us ex-servicemen who have a war disability pension are involved in making poppies, some of us are riding Ducati's around! But being serious I have noticed the "upper class" poppies too. Here in France they don't have poppies, but they do have a proper ceremony in every town and village. It is on the 11th, as it should be, and not the nearest Sunday, and the whole town including the school kids take part. I am very proud to represent the UK and the RAF on these occasions in my town.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Steve, the enamel brooches are dated so you really would be a cheapskate if you wore a previous year's brooch. I have one from last year and this and I shall buy ones in 2016, 2017 and 2018. If for no other reason than my father served throughout the second world war and came home which many of his brigade did not. Now he has gone too I try to remember their sacrifice on his behalf. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. We purchased the knitted ones and all the cash went to the BL!
    It was the hand crafted aspect that appealed.
    We also have the enamel ones,
    perhaps ......as one of my old t-shirts said "you stare at me 'cause I'm different while I stare back 'cause you're all the same"

No offensive meant, just putting it out there.

16. I wore enamel poppy this year although I got a paper one to wear for rememberance parade Sunday.
    If you text POPPY to 70111 you donate £10 with all but about 6p going to BL.

• Like Like x 2
  17. The small, official RBL ones, are dated... A lot of the fancy brooch type ones aren't...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Watch out for ones being sold by lionheart gb, or the patriot store - they are knock off items and none of the proceeds go to charity at all, but instead fund a far right group.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Exactly. This is why I always buy the paper original type.

20. Last year I was accused of being tight as I was "caught" wearing a 2013 enamel poppy badge.
    The truth was that I had not taken it off my jacket for 12 months.
    It is still on my jacket today. I remember the fallen every day; not just one weekend a year.

I did pay £10 for a single paper poppy on remembrance sunday; and I'm sure to do the same next year...

Bob

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information