1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portimao 29-31 March 2019 - Tyre Questions

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by batman_oh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Howdi,

Hopefully heading at the end of March on the road bike. I was looking to run either slicks or Supercorsa SC's but have heard it can rain a bit in Portimao, especially outside of summer. Anybody that has been previously - what would the chances be of getting away with it with no wet weather tyres?

Don't want to be stuck there looking at people going around :p

Thanks

2. I went in March and September this year with just slicks and didn't miss any sessions. We had a few spots of rain in March but nothing serious.

3. ball.png
    I see rain on day two..

4. I wouldn't be looking at Supercorsa's or Pirelli slicks as there's miles better alternatives out there if you're just looking for track/race tyres
    Have you considered either Bridgestone R11 or VO2 slicks, as they're better in pretty much every way to the Pirelli versions, and are cheaper too
    Conti race attack endurance are a good alternative too
    Poeple get hung up on Pirelli as they're the tyre supplier for BSB/WSBK, but in reality, they're really only very good initially, and then that grip falls away quite dramatically - Look at world endurance where it's an open tyre rule, and none of the top 10-15 teams run pirelli's

It does rain a fair bit in Portimao (Something to do with being in the first mountain range in from the Atlantic, and air pressures), so if you can source a spare set of wheels with wets, or a set of wets you can swap onto your existing rims, it could save sitting out a day or so if it does turn bad

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information