1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential new owner

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Turf moor, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Howdy folks, I am interested in a Diavel but, as I have never had a Ducati before I am going to have to ask about reliability. So, are they? At the moment I have got a B-King, which, as you would imagine, is completely reliable, a fact I've got nicely used to after several Euro bikes and a Buell, which were pretty good but not infallible.

2. I have had my Diavel for a year. It is absolutely fucking awesome in every respect.

Handles really well at all speeds, accelerates like shit off a shovel, looks different, attracts positive comments from people I have never met.

Need I go on? I can if you want!!!

PS I am having my full Termi system fitted tomorrow. Yeeee Haaaaaa!

3. All i can say about Ducatis is, if you look after them, service them properly and generally care for it, it should be fine. Jap stuff now a days can be ignored from one day to the next, serviced when you feel like it and yet still start every time. Usually.
    You need to love a Ducati.

4. Do it. Extended belt life, so belts every 5 years. Not heard of any major problems with them or recalls. I had an 848 before for 3 years with no reliability issues. Love my diavel and no doubt if you get one you will too.

5. Belt life? Cam belt? If so, I'm not sure I like the sound of that. They do look good and I'm impressed your 848 went for three years with no issues. I wonder how many miles that was, though.
    When people say they handle really well, does that mean they handle well for a cruiser or, for example, as well as the Multistrada. The reason I ask is the 240 section back tyre. The last bike I went on with a 240 back tyre, which people had said handled well was a Triumph Rocket 3. To get round a tight roundabout you had to almost stop.

6. Forgot to ask, what are the service intervals?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Hmmmmm,
    Old ones, its more like ongoing maintenance (as things break, fall off or explode)
    New ones, slightly less things fall off.......

To be serious belts every 12k/2 years and oil change every 6k on my 748. Someone else will be along ref new ones, its longer periods I beleive....

8. Don't panic hugely about cambelts, they do need changing but Ducati have done a lot to make the job quicker and simpler. For example on the 748 all the battery and fuses etc were in-front of the cambelts and they moved them over to the other side of the bike greatly improving service access. Possible that the exhaust on the doable complicates things but I believe the belt change is more like every 3 years+

Ducati's have come a long way! And with Audi's '5 priority' things for Ducati to do over the next few years you will see even more investment in warranty and service standards.

9. I cant believe that some people stick subscribe to the 1990's Ducati reliability thing! Pop your head on to any make bike forum and they are all moaning about a fucked this or a broken than!

Buy a Diavel you'll love it

• Like Like x 2
  10. I am because I really don't know anything about Ducatis. And I agree about other makes having reliability problems, aepecially Honda Fireblades/1000Rs with stator failures but Suzukis tend to be better and it's a B-King which would have to make way for the Ducati. In many ways a similar bike. The Diavel is no cruiser, more a naked bruiser like the King. I'd willingly lose 25 kilos off the dry big Suzi weight but I'm not so sure about the sticky 240 section tyre your bike has regarding getting round corners. The Diavel is undeniably a looker, though and it amuses me no end how its existence ruffles the feathers of more traditional Ducati riders. Check out the American site. It's a hoot. Thanks for your input. Nick.

11. My 848 did 11000 miles. Handling wise to ride one. Looks like a cruiser rides like a sports bike. One of the main points from most of the reviews is the surprise how the bike handles.

Service intervals are every 7500 miles of 1 year, which ever comes first. The work carried out is mileage dependant. The more you do, the more you it will be. Belts are every 5 years, unlike 2 for most other models.

Forget all the preconceptions and go ride one. You'll be surprised.

12. Had the same experience as Matt with an 848evo. Owned it for 18 months and did 8000 miles on it. I was expecting a bit of trouble with it from ducatis reputation. It never let me down once, always started first time and was an absolute blast to ride. Traded it in against a Panigale S which I've done 1300 miles of trouble free riding on. Ducatis aren't what they used to be

13. I'm not doubting you but on www.diavel-forum.com/Diavel General Discussion/how many miles on your devil? there are three pages of owners enthusing about their mounts (rightly so) but at the same time as documenting their mileage, they list the things which have gone wrong. It doesn't make for impressive reading. Worse than a BMW or KTM forum, in fact! Owners argue that the problems have been minor but they still stop you, wherever you may be at the time.

14. Incidentally, whilst I have a Suzuki B-King, which I use daily (not one issue so far in 11,400 miles, as you would expect), I also have a Buell Ulysses, which I have done 19,200 miles on, so I don't often buy safe Japanese bikes.
    I'm looking, perhaps, to sell the Suzi in a couple of years for a Diavel, so I'm hoping all the slight problems are sorted out by then. In the meantime, Big Suzi is a worthwhile companion. :biggrin:

15. She always was :wink:

16. The model is now 2 years old so any problems should be ironed out. I haven't really heard of any, but if your reading pages that the subject is mileage and problems, that's all your going to see. As I say, I've not heard of any major issues, or any minor ones come to think of it.

17. Thanks for that, abmatt.

18. The only problem I'm having with mine is that I'm very worried that I unless I calm down and start taking it slower I'm probably going to lose my licence. Fantastic motorbike !

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm still sorely tempted but the nearest Ducati dealer is almost 200 miles away and my B-King is a damn good bike and so reliable. I'm going to monitor the Diavel for a year or so to see how reliable it is. I'm not convinced yet. Read about too many issues on other sites.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information