1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potholes and road hazards - fixmystreet

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete1950, Oct 12, 2013.

1. FixMyStreet

This website makes it easy to report potholes, oilspills, and other hazards to your local council. They might even come and deal with the problem. If they don't and your vehicle is damaged, your claim will be strengthened. I have just reported a couple near me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I can't enter 'All roads around Colchester and many in Suffolk'

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ditto. Kirklees roads are shit. All of them. Without exception.

4. Well OK. But we can make a start, and try one pothole at a time. Or, we can do nothing and moan. So what's it going to be?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Good luck with that :wink:

(i was just be faceti..fasheshush...facey..facetitio...cheeky)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I went to turn at a junction yesterday on the bike and lost my footing on all these stones ... Looked down and deeper then any pothole a bloody sink hole had opened up in the road or drain had collapsed in... 4 inches over it could have been messy .. Broken leg and bolloxed bike ..... I report potholes .. All they do here is draw a pretty circle round it until it fades away and someone moans again!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yup. Local councils do feck all about the roads. They're tarmaced the road down from me a couple of mounts ago, but missed the 3rd world, pot holed hell hole at the top that is used by most traffic. Cnuts... Causes all sorts of problems!...

8. Or round here they come everything put in temp traffic lights then F off ..... For weeks ..
    Years ago they had those stripy tea huts to hide in ... Now god knows where they bugger off for weeks to ... Bahamas probably cause our council would never know !

9. .......and the local authorities would rather spend 500 quid on a stiff solicitors letter than buy you a new tyre!

Plus they have a policy where a pot hole needs to be a certain size and depth, and then it has to be reported so many times before anything is done....

10. There's a massive pothole down my Street and the kids sit digging in it and filling it up with water like a sandpit .... Then chuck all the gravel over the road....
    Can't their parents but them a DS or something ?

11. within a certain time limit, and the shape must conform to specific pattern that has been proven as potentially harmful and...

12. Would you know what that shape and pattern is, as I've got some plywood handy to make a template so I that I can ensure that the piggin 'oles outside my house conform before I complain.

13. Our Council have just relaid the whole road surface right through our village. Exellent job and done at night so no hold up's all very good. now they want to dig it up to put speed humps in and a "table" at the zebra crossing. What does a zebra need a table for? God knows how they justify costs. I have warned them that come the revolution them that dies will be the lucky ones.

Regards Steve

14. your local authority will have a definition on their website...........its a bit like defining a ducati superbike as ............er..

15. I've been reporting potholes for years, and it works, so don't just sit there moaning about it, get on the website, or onto your local council, and get them noticed. More often than not they don't get fixed cos no-one at the council are aware of them - make them aware.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Like both Pete and Fig have said, we can choose to piss n moan (in the piss n moan thread in our minuscule part of the Internet universe), or at least try to do something. If it doesn't work, well at least you can say you tried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks Pete
    Just reported some bad potholes near where I live.
    The council can't argue that they didn't know about them as they carried out some "temporary" repairs in the spring. When they say temporary - they mean "will last for approx 1 month".

18. There was a problem in my road the major issue was the water course kept coming out in the middle of the road lifting the tarmac creating a hole..........Dont tell me about reporting it as i did it on a daily basis....as did several others, you can keep track on my local web site on the progress of the complaint. After 4 reports i noticed on their site that someone had attended and reported back with a conclusion "cant find it!"

Now we are talking about a hole that is 8" deep, approx 12" wide and even longer than 12". It is on the nearside front wheel line just prior to a blind bend on a down hill slope. One of my fortes is understanding and giving clear concise accurate instruction and believe you me i did exactly that with reference points to identify the location. ( Not that you would need it you only have to drive down the road) Two more cars were damaged and eventually after further reports it was found and all they did was fill it with tarmac. Remember the underlying problem is water coming out from under the ground. This wasn't addressed!! So the hole comes back several times more with the same process ......water comes out poor repair is washed away hole appears car gets damaged complaint goes in it takes ages for a response eventually all they do is fill it with tarmac again...........
    however at the end of the fourth cycle of this, a bloke riding his pedal cycle along with 10 year old daughter goes past, she hits the deep hole over the handle bars both front teeth knocked out!

Cue the big claim which i have offered my details as a witness including times dates etc where i observed reported plus my prior observations that something serious was going to happen based on my knowledge and experience.....we shall see!

So the reason for reporting is logging the details for a future claim as much as the present damage!

19. There's now a river flowing by my work down a hill on to a nasty bend fitted with half sunk manholes with no grip on them smooth shiny ones.
    People complained about said river down the road .
    So they came out and put a sign out saying " flood" !!! Er no one of the useless construction people hit a water mains ... There has been no monsoon there nor do I recall a river flooding nearby because there is not one !

20. The trouble with damage caused by water mains is the council won't touch it, they'll just report it to the local water company, and then you've got an eternal wait for the water company to get their arses into gear (I used to work for Thames Water, and the way they deal with these things is amateurish at best). Then they'll repair the leak and leave the road in a shocking state, and will stay that way for a minimum 6 months (to allow for settlement), then you've got to go through the whole reporting business again to get the dodgy road repair sorted.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information