1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Power Output Test

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by El-diavel8471, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone, I have owned a 748 manufactured in 1995 for approx 13 years now, although I have not used it the last couple of years for various reasons. When I purchased the bike from the previous owner the bike had a lazer exhaust system fitted and had apparently had ecu re-programmed/mapped etc.

When I went through the paperwork that came with the bike, it had a printed schedule of works that included the 853 re-bore, gas flowed heads and all the other stuff included in that upgrade, but there was no receipt to prove it had been done, so I left it at that. Over the years I have loved this bike, it's had it's issues like all original vehicles have, but it still runs great today. Various more experienced riders that have taken it out over the years have commented on how much torque the bike seems to have compared to others they have tried.

Now I am looking at selling the bike to purchase a more comfortable Diavel (it's an age thing) And I'd like to establish once and for all whether this bike has had the sigma performance upgrade, so that I can be honest with the new potential owners about what they are buying (I believe the previous owner to me was a layman like myself and all work was carried out by the original owner before him.

I guess the only option is to test the power output on a dyno etc? Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in regards to power output and does anyone have any recommendations for where to take the bike in Essex area?

Thanks in advance

2. In stock form it should make 85-90bhp at the wheel (engine is claimed by Ducati 98 at the crank on the earlier ones 97 on the later ones, you lose around 15% in the transmission and chain , worn chains lose more) unless it is very well set up, if very well set up could be up to 95. If it has an 853 kit and set up expect 115bhp+. Many dynos seem to give higher outputs than are likely btw

3. Thanks very much for the info, gives me a ballpark to aim for! I should have done this a long time ago really.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information