1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Tools

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cream_Revenge, Aug 2, 2018.

1. It's OK but for the price I'd spend a bit more and buy Makita or Hitachi.

This isn't a bad deal and compacts are handy for DIY use.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Po...+Li-Ion+Cordless+Brushless+Combi+Drill/p63686

Agree 1.3 AH isn't enough. Unless you're literally just doing a single odd job you'll spend more time charging than using it.

If buying off the internet check it has two 3 AH batteries and they are lithium. There are lots of dealers offloading old style single battery packs online.

Good thing about Makita is you can buy the drill bodies and bigger carry cases separately quite cheaply so if you get something with a decent battery pack and charger (which is what costs the money) you can always add to it later.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Cordless is great, until your battery goes flat, battery stops recharging, you have a big job to get done, forget to recharge ...

Extension cords are a pain, but all my tools work at max power all the time and cost less than cordless options. Plus I never forget to charge them up!

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Ryobi 18v stuff is a great compromise of value and quality. I’ve got quite a few of the tooks in the range for home use which have had some serious use. I got a multi bay charger and use the 5 ah lithium batteries. Only thing thats broken over the years was the tuning dial on a work radio. ( replaced it with a digital version)
    I believe part of the Milwaukee group, which are great and i have for work.

4. Putting shelves up. Hanging gates. Normal DIY crap.

5. Dewalt/Bosch/makita everytime for me:upyeah:buy cheap buy twice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. not an issue

7. I struggle with a phone AND wallet!

8. Large rucksack or large handbag depending on your preference?

9. I'm sure you're right. I'm not ever tuned into the job though! Replacing all my mains Dewalt tools or saving a few hundred greenbacks & suffereing the extension cable? Given "most" of my shelves are already up...

I'll leave all these new fangled tinterweb magic tools to you young blokes.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. I try and stick with black & decker. There is a reason they have been going longer than I have. Tend to use cordless drill as its multi purpose rather than just a screwdriver too. Also cordless doesn't like drilling into tough stuff IME unless its top end, so wired for that nonsense. 18v seems the norm now.

Bought a McCallister (B&Q thing) circular saw which seems OK but only used a few times.

11. Don't use a regular cordless drill on hammer action with masonry drill bits unless it's specifically a cordless SDS drill which runs at the correct rate of spin and hammer frequency for the job. Most aren't. Cordless hammer drills usually spin at the same rate on hammer action as they do for non-hammer, and that is too fast for masonry bits. If you try and use a masonry bit at the wrong speed you'll burn it out rapidly. Corded (or rechargeable) SDS drills are designed to be used with masonry bits and their rate of turn and hammer frequency is much slower than regular battery drills. They will drill holes more efficiently and won't destroy the bit.

#16 Gimlet, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. case is 40.64 x 30.48 x 12.7 cm and weighs a couple of kilos
    or order on Amazon where it's next day delivery and cheaper

• Like Like x 1
  13. well that explains that!

14. Dewalt or Makita, 4-5AH, have left my Dewalt Li ion battery in the garage for months at a time, loses no charge, and unit itself feels very good quality.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm looking but can't see it.............the kitchen sink;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information