1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Powerlet Socket Waterproof ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by reddy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Hi guys,
    Is the powerlet socket underside of the passenger seat waterproof? As in, can I use it to charge my mobile in the rain?

2. The rear compartment doesn't get wet when I've used he a jet-wash but I doubt its rated as waterproof. Probably IP4 to cover the liability of ducati; so you could place a device in it wrapped in some cloth charging. The port will switch off when the bike is not running mind. But are you thinking of feeding a wire out from underneath the seat??

3. hi Gunz,
    Yes I am intending to run a usb cable from a powerlet to usb adapter in the socket to charge the mobile phone that is mounted on the handle bar via a ram mount.
    Just wondering if the setup with the 3 connections may be exposed to the water and cause a short.

4. My rear pillion compartment has two connections, a usb2.0 & covered 12V cigarette jobbie. The front right side of dash has another 12V cigarette plug. That if you buy the ducati-tank bag or separate electrical kit seems to be IPX4 rated also. The ram mounts are strong but I'd be tempted to avoid destroying the phone if it did rain. I'm sure the canbus electrics would switch off any socket if it noticed a trip/short.

Stuff that I'd be charging goes inside a bag for piece of mind for a few hours. Periodically checking its charging & all is well. And surrounded by a small towel for moisture capture & shock absorption.

I tell you what I'm mulling over is the point of waterproof sockets. They are not waterproof once you are using them. They are only rated IPX5/6 if its closed & sealed. I hope I'm not coming across as weird explaining that'

#4 GunZenBomZ, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  5. You are absolutely correct about that. As said above I have also jet washed bike & never got any water under the rear seat.

6. Appreciate the inputs. Thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information