1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pp Occasional Misfire/ Splutter And Loss Of Power.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by clarkey231, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hi All,
    I have a remapped (cjs) and decatted 2014 Pikes Peak which has developed an occasional serious misfire/ spluttering and loss of power
    . It can come and go anytime although has not happened when giving it beans just low speed and pootling along. Will then clear and be fine.
    No engine lights come on. I have not checked plugs etc yet but any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

2. I would be interested in any insight on this 'cause I am experiencing a similar problem. No decat, just original equipment. It happens only when it's cold. After it warms up everything seems to go away on its own. I am at almost 36K (kms) so it's close to an oil change and I will check that too. It's happened twice for no apparent reason. The only difference with your case is that the atmospheric pressure sensor has come on a few times, although when the problem happened no warning light came on. And from what I read, the bike should run normally even with two sensors off (goes to default mapping). So I cannot really correlate the loss of power to the sensor issue.

3. Seems I'm not alone. My 2016 1200S has twice had a similar thing, last time was this morning. Riding out of the 30 mph limit, I accelerated and not a lot happened. It does accelerated but very sluggishly and wouldn't rev out like it usually does. It also sounded odd, like a big single. Stopped the bike and felt for heat coming from the cylinders; back one hot, front one not. Rode a bit more to see if it was damp affecting it and thought it may dry out. It didn't so went home and immediately put it on the centre stand and got my thermometer out. Rear exhaust pipe was at 185 deg. C, front pipe was at 79 deg. C. No warnings on dash.
    I wondered about the exhaust valve but then thought that, since that's after the cat, it would affect both cylinders, not just the front one. Checked it anyway and it was sticking. Freed it up and made sure it was returning to fully open on the spring and tried again. Still the same.
    Anyone got any ideas????

4. I might be talking BS here but the rear exhaust pipe will get considerably hotter than the front one because of total absence of ventilation. I don't know if the difference should be that much though.

5. Cracks in the rear MAP sensor hose was the cause of my at first random then regular misfire.

Ended up throwing misfire codes after 6-8 weeks.

6. Exhaust valve! sat with engine running re-checking the exhaust pipe temperature when there was a loud 'click' and the tone of the exhaust changed. Turned bike off and watched exhaust valve while I switched it back on. Sure enough, went through the cycle but valve stayed open. Started bike and running rough. Flicked the valve with a screwdriver and it sprung back then ran fine. In to Ducati Peterborough and being done under warranty. And got a exhaust valve eliminator ready to go on. Thanks for the suggestions:upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. I wouldn't bother with eliminator, just remove the flap valve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Did you resolve this? Having no end of dramas....TIA

9. I had this issue on a monster 1200r. ramdomly backfiring and then cutting out.
    turned out all it was was a loose battery terminal!

10. Resolved. Exhaust valve. Took a while to track it down but sorted under warranty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. @Kevin Hudson thanks for this, I’ve had exactly the symptoms you describe on my ‘16 S after not using it over the winter so will check. Thought they may have picked it up at the service (when it first happened) but to be fair I didn’t report it as the problem had cleared by the time I got to them. A week later it happened again, then cleared itself again...
    Cheers for posting

12. That's pretty much what happened with me. First time was on my way to lead a ride-out when it started running on one. Handed the ride to someone else and on the way home it cleared. Same happened another 2 times and Ducati didn't pick it up when I went in as, of course, it was fine when they looked. I carry the eliminator in the tool bag now just in case it happens again. Riding over winter does introduce a fair bit of salt and crud to the valve mechanism. As 'broke' says, could just take the valve out but as kits welded in, it would involve a bit of work. Main reason I didn't do that was the bike was still under warranty. Wirelocking open and fitting the eliminator would took about half an hour and was easy enough to remove when I had the warranty replacement and Ducati none the wiser. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

13. Check side stand switch / spring.

14. I took out a 2 year extended warranty when the bike was new ( so still got over a year to run) and for that reason the only changes I’ve made are purely cosmetic. I wouldn’t want to risk any potential warranty claim just by making any ‘upgrades’ such as removing/disabling the exhaust valve.

15. Visited the dealer today, they’re going to try to order a complete new cat box under warranty from Ducati. The valve isn’t available separately apparently. By the sounds of it they’ve had a fair few to deal with...
    They say that when the bike warms up and the exhaust expands it can free off the valve (which is what has happened with mine a couple of times now).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information