1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing A 1st Generation Multistrada 1200 For A Life On Track

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by bradders, Oct 22, 2021.

1. @Android853sp bike found then! Looking forward to the build thread :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Today I bought a 2010, Multistrada 1200s Sport that @messes posted a link to about a week ago. Thank you for that :upyeah: Pleasantly surprised to find a very tidy, virtually standard bike (apart from a MIVV decat exhaust system) that appears to have been well looked after. Just under 20,000 miles with a fairly good service record, a tank full of petrol and a pair of very nearly new Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interacts. The bike is currently at Moto Rapido for a full inspection to see if there are any issues that could influence the next stages of the build.
    My thoughts so far to start with, a belt service and valve shim gap check as a matter of course, fit an EVR (wet) slipper clutch as I won’t be fitting a QS, remove the ABS pump and upgrade the front calipers to a pair of M4’s, fit billet front brake and clutch master cylinders, convert to a 520 chain with QR rear sprocket, use the lightweight W spoke, forged Marchesini wheels I already have and fit Pirelli Supercorsa SC’s which I also already have, generally lighten where I can, find an Ohlins SCU and get the ECU remapped. I’m going to keep the MIVV for the moment but I might dig a bit deeper into my pocket and get an Arrow Works system.
    Not associated with the track modifications, the very tarty carbon beak and winglets that came fitted as standard to the Sport model, will find their way onto my road going Multistrada :D
    As things develop, I’ll update the post and add pictures. For people who want numbers, I’m aiming for about 140 rwhp and under 200kg wet weight (190kg would be good, 185kg would be better). Andy

#2 Android853sp, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Will the Hyper rear wheel fit, as the multi wheel is a big hub?

4. I was told that the wheels I bought were from a Hypermotard SP and they fit my Multistrada. I’ll check in the morning for a part number to confirm. Andy

5. Light light light!! :upyeah:

I wonder if narrower bars would help too, along with some kind of wider screen

Lookimh forward to seeing the outcome :upyeah:

6. The thought about narrower bars did occur to me today so something to consider. I foresee a big problem with crating the bike for transport so had intended to fit a cloned version of the original Pikes Peak screen. Andy

7. I am glad to hear it was as clean as it looked. :) I was very tempted, but I have other impractical things to spend my money on.

While they have it apart grab the tarty belt covers too.

I found these handy to mount the reservoirs and remove the front indicatorsfor my one little track jaunt. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224176884633

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thank you for that. Andy

9. Ditch the brick battery too and fit a smokingly light LiPo. Cheapest £ to kg ratio part I've ever fitted to my money pit(899 hybrid).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Or ditch the bike and get a Triumph Speed Trip RS ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Of course, the wheels only have the Brembo part number but on further investigation, the rear wheel is a 6” rim whereas the Hyper looks to have been 5.5”. So which other Ducatis came with, what I think is called, the W pattern, forged wheels ? Andy

12. Not going to happen :D Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Is the multi rear hub bigger? I am sure it is. Does your 1098R rear stand fit in?

The width is just preference. If you have a big hub, a 1098 forged 10 spoke would fit.

If you have a small hub and use the hyper wheel, there are some good track tyre sizes in 180 now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Agreed. 180/60 is a good size for a track tyre on a 5.5" rim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I’m confused now. You asked if I was sure the wheels I have are from a 950SP which is what I was told. The W spoke rear wheel I have which looks identical to the 950SP wheel, is a 6” rim which would suggest that it is not from a 950SP which the internet says should be 5.5”. I’ll just got back and delete the reference to 950SP. Still curious about what bike they come from though. Andy

16. I’ll be using a 200/60 on a 6” rim because that’s what I already have in my stock pile. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not sure on your spoke pattern, have a look at a monster 1200r wheel. They are 6" wide.

Edit to clear up info..

#17 ducati dad, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  18. They'll be good to go.

19. It’s the hub not the rim. Is it huge nut or just big one? Try it on your 1098r stand, if it fits it’s fine

Do Not Sell My Personal Information