1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventative Measure - Tank Sealing Carby Ss.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Rumble, Dec 11, 2017.

1. One of the things I was careful to look out for when getting my Carby 900ss was that the fuel tank was sound as it seems that they are prone to rot at the rear underside.
    I've used POR15 previously (yam LC) with good results and was wondering if any of you guys have done this to prevent any future leaking, as opposed to having to use it to stop a leak.
    I'm new to the SS world, but it does seem that every second hand fuel tank up for sale has holes or been repaired. And they are not cheap even then!
    Or is this not really a big problem?

2. So after some more research I going to test the lower tank contents with this:
    [​IMG]
    Then add some of this as it also helps with carb icing etc:
    [​IMG]

3. If your tank is solid I'd leave it , the tank is easy to remove, there is a drain plug at the lowest point if you are wondering what's sloshing about in the bottom corner, save the fuel for the mower and put some fresh in it ,plus if you remove the whole filler assembly which you'll need to do to change the fuel filter then you can have a proper look inside.

• Like Like x 1
  4. It's easy to look in once the filler is out, to see what the condition of the lower rear is. This is the lowest point and usually where it rots out if water gets in there. The water will go to this lowest point and the fuel pump may not pump it out. Like you I had concerns as I have seen a few bad tanks. Mines a decent one so I sealed it a couple years ago with POR15. It's messy but good stuff and it'll block the breather hole at the front so watch out for that. I have 3 tanks. Another decent one and one not as good. They are certainly going up in price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Many thanks for the advice. I will give it a good visual inspection and go from there. I know I won't be clocking up lots of miles on her compared to my other bikes (I ride for a living) but am conscious these bike like to be used.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information