1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Proper Keyless Start/stop

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by lospsi, Oct 2, 2019.

1. New owner of a 2013 Multistrada 1200S and I'm confused about the most simple (until now) task of motorcycle usage.
    First time with a keyless bike, I'm reading the manual and it states that when the bike is parked, the red starter button should be on top position or else it might drain the battery (pic 1). Right.
    Then, a few pages later, manual states that red starter button has 3 positions and center one is RUN OFF (all electronic devices are off) and top position is RUN ON where the bike can start (presumably by activating the bike with red button pushed down, I think).
    So, I can't understand where am I supposed to leave the red button when I park my bike. The bike won't run frequently so I hate to discover than the battery won't work when I decide to go for a ride.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Screenshot_20191002_135036_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20191002_135100_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

2. Stop the engine by sliding the switch to the centre position. Then return it to the top position. It doesn't drain the battery there and all electrics are off. It is then ready to start again when the key is near enough to be picked up by the system.
    I don't think I ever used the third, fully down, position.

3. Its real easy.
    The switch has three positions: up, down, momentary pressed down

When the bike is parked or your riding it the switch needs to be up. If you leave it in the down position on the earlier bikes it was still scanning for the key, so consumes power. I thought this was changed by software update, certainly before the 13 bikes.

To turn the bike on & start - press the switch to momentary down (so it covers the start button, and then down a bit further) and release, then slide it back to up to uncover the starter button. The bike should turn on if the key is in range.

To start the bike - with the switch in the up position and the bike already powered on, Press the starter to start.

To stop the bike - slide the switch to the down position, so it covers the start button. The engine should stop.

To turn the bike off - slide the switch to the down position if it wasn't already, and press it to momentary down to turn off.

Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. :upyeah: What John W said. My DVT is different and I had forgotten some of the procedure for the earlier bikes.

5. Yeah earlier bikes the switch must be left in the up position as it does scan for the transponder otherwise as John W states.

6. Down position with full left lock to engage steering lock too

7. Thanks guys. It seemed confusing when reading the manual. Up it is then, when the bike is parked!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information