1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proud 1198s Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mattmk1, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Hi all, finally took a leap, raided my bank account and purchased a 2010 1198s a few weeks back.

Also have a 2007 fireblade and the ducati is just phenomenal, character, noise, handling, the brakes! I'm in love already!!

Still getting to know the bike, so have a few issues...slow to start when engines hot (may invest in new battery cables as already has a lithium battery).

Fuel consumption is terrible...fuel light on after 59 miles on the trip last Saturday! I Stopped at a petrol station 5 miles later and couldn't see anything in the tank, took 16 quid to fill it.

And gearbox seems a little unwilling, I'm missing a few up gearshifts and the physical angle of the shifter in relation to the footpeg seems to stop me getting any shove behind my upshifts.

Despite that, love it to bits, wanted one since I saw them revealed at the NEC so just want to use the forum to get to know a few people and see if I can sort the above issues.

I'm in rugby, Warwickshire and always keen to meet people!

Cheers,
    Stay safe

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome buddy. Great bike :upyeah:
    Throw up a few pics....we all love pics ;)

3. Welcome Matt, i have a 2010 too.

I was thinking yesterday while riding in to London that all the power beneath me but if i use it i'll have to make 2 stops at the bloody petrol station. It's not too bad if you don't gas it, but that is nigh on impossible to do!

What colour did you get?

I would order some Exact start cables from @Exige to help it start before you start wearing bits out (i've been down this road already :( )

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome Dave

5. Congratulations and welcome :)

6. Welcome 1198 dude :cool:

7. Think the previous owner found this, it had a new sprag clutch and the lithium battery fitted 6 weeks ago.

Fires within seconds when cold but takes 3 or 4 attempts when hot....little embarrassing at fuel stations...especially given the fuel consumption issue.

I thought I was riding it fairly gently but to be honest the engine loves to rev, which I didn't really expect.

I'll get some pics but it's in Corse Se colours!

• Like Like x 1
  8. If anything mine is the opposite, seems ok from hot, if left a long while then it's troublesome.

9. Hi Matt, I have an 1198s as well, I find that from cold it needs a slight touch of throttle to help it start, but don't go near the throttle if it's warm, I found if you do it doesn't like to start. I have @Exige cables which ensured I had the best cables and have just fitted a lithium battery ( but haven't) had to start it since....oh and welcome

10. @Mattmk1 hi mate that mileage is about right for the fuel range, ive had mine mapped and now get about 75/80 miles to a tank and thats giving it the beans too!!
    there great bikes i love um, mines a white base model with a few nice mods. im in cheltenham if your ever dowm this way give me a shout.

11. Welcome and enjoy. @Exige cables are worth the £. Got on both mine and starting is no longer a concern.

12. Hi, do you still have your bike? Is it the same one you were selling? Hope ye ok...it's Carl i was interested in the 1198 but ambition and abilities and all that

13. Yeah I was selling it but decided to keep her in the end as there amazing bikes mate.

14. Hello and welcome into the mad house

You have found out why we all love our Dukes all those quirky bits that go with ownership
    The revs the false neutrals etc etc

We like pics it's the law around here include a bin we like those too :)

Do you like red ;)

15. Nice 1 I'm pleased for you

• Like Like x 1
  16. White is the new red

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oh no :astonished::scream: no no

18. Thanks all, was hoping to get out on it this morning bur weather in the Midlands was pretty grim.

Here's a pic from when I picked her up, previous owner seems to have babied it and added a few extras!

I'm back on the fireblade for a few weeks now as I'm touring France in a fortnight!

_20170610_225617.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  19. looks very nice mate.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information