1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Punture Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jack999s, May 4, 2017.

1. Got a puncture in rear tyre while out today, The screw was in just of centre, Going to plug it with a mushroom plug, Dam tyre has just done under 500miles, Just wondering if repairing bike tyres is ok in insurers eyes?? Any advice appreciated

2. RAC make you sign a disclaimer not to exceed 40 mph if they plug a tyre on a call out. Not 100% of insurers stance on this but it's a replacement tyre in my view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any sort of spirited riding knowing my rear tyre had been repaired/plugged...

I'm not sure on what the Insurance company stance would be on this but purely from a self preservation point of view, risk far outweighs the appeal of having an extra £150 in the bank. Would only use a repaired tyre to get me to where a new one was getting put on...

4. Even shops will say change it if its part way around the middle of a tyre zone. Had the same myself, very annoying..but what is your life worth??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The tyre fitters I know will refuse to repair punctured bike tyres with a Z speed rating. IIRC most sports bike tyres are Z speed rated. Not sure if that is a legislative thing or not but if an accident investigation attributes the cause of the accident to a repaired tyre, I think the insurance underwriter would decline to pay. As a get you home repair, I have had more success with sticky string than mushrooms. Last year my girlfriend picked up 2 punctures in the same tyre whilst on holiday in west Wales. The repairs lasted until we got home so did 200 or 300 hundred miles. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Unbeknown to me a used monster I bought had a plugged rear tyre which blew out whilst riding
    Went with a hell of a bang
    Lesson learnt

7. Wow..... :eek:

8. Get a proper repair done from the inside and it should be fine.

The 'from the outside at the roadside' repairs are generally considered temporary to get you home.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. now done 3 or 400 miles with it having had a proper repair and alls good so far, probably change it pretty soon and with a bit of luck wheels painted gold at same time, its always in the back of my mind though and tbh ive been taken it fairly easy, got a pair of new ones ready for fitting

10. Did 460 miles on my repair couple of weeks ago (in the middle of nowhere in Scotland) fairly spirited ride on Saturday and a 260 mile ride home without incident, tyres gone down since! New tyre ordered and will be fitted next week (4200 on original scorpion trail)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information