1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Q On Part

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, May 18, 2018.

1. The Holder that the relays sit in beside the battery ; does anybody know the part number?

The Whitish Relay in the pic , does anybody know what it is for? looks like it got some damage from the battery fluid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. My rev counter on idle , ticks back and forth from 1K ;The yellow cable in my hand , is this the cable that causes issue?

[​IMG]

3. According to parts diagram the rubber holder is ; 829.1.094.1C. The yellow relay is the main power relay and if (when) it fails your bike will stop and all the electrics will die - new ones are not expensive so worth having a spare.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looks like part 82910941D superceeded it

5. That's the 3-wire loom from your alternator to the rectifier/regulator, so probably not, especially if your bike runs ok while the gauge flickers. The signal for the rpm gauge comes from the ECU. If the rpm sensor on the engine is failing then it could cause what you're seeing, but your engine won't run properly.

6. Thanks, interesting; she runs great at the moment but at 4K rpm I get a hiss noise ; an rpm over or under 4K rpm none

She was hesitant intermittently but since I put in injector cleaner , all good

She ran flawless in track last Wednesday

7. Carlo, the 3 way yellow wire connector is probably the most important connection/plug on the entire loom and one which will do damage to the reg/rec and stator (plus a breakdown) if left unattended. The contacts in that plug must be very tight and very clean. Any signs of overheating and its best to replace it, I cut mine out and soldered the wires years ago. Your intermittent clocks suggest an earth issue between the head stock looms and the main bike loom. Often there is corrosion, or overheating/burning on one of the earth pins in the main(circular) front to rear loom connector under the front rhs of the tank, sometimes water gets trapped in that connector. It is worth separating and inspecting carefully as a maintenance action, cleaning with a contact cleaner and/or spraying with a contact protectant - the connections with black wires are the headstock earths connections, there are usually two and location within the plug depends on the MY for the bike. If you have the fairings off also check the cleanliness and condition of the 10 way connector under the front of the seat rhs. Also did you replace the two relays under the seat, one of them does the ecu and one does the fuel pump, while you are there pull the 5 and 20A fuses and check their connections are clean and there is no overheating. Your part no is correct for the later bikes. The yellow relay is worth replacing as yours is obviously quite old, it is the main relay for the whole switched electrical system and you need the right replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Great Thanks Denzil

I have Butt connectors I can heat shrink on , so might replace the plug altogether

With the hiss sound mechanic thinks it might be the Fuel filter as it is pressurised , will replace as part of maintenance

One last Q the later battery holder to fit the smaller Yusa 12B Battery

Does anybody have a pic of how it was fitted? I am fitting it to the earlier battery box

9. Carlo, download the MY01 or 02 parts book from Ducati, on the page with the battery box/regrec and solenoid it is item 13 part number 82912701a, it clips into the bottom of the battery box IIRC

Edit, when you do the fuel filter check the condition of the fuel pipes on the pump assembly and be prepared to replace them, they can split and cause all sorts of power issues due to inadequate fuel pressure

#10 Denzil the Ducati, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  10. Thanks Denzil!

Yep its 82912701a I have

[​IMG]

11. Thanks Denzil!

Yep its 82912701a I have

[​IMG]

12. Carlo there are 4 rubber bungs that fit in that bit and another 4 that fit in the back of the battery box. I don't think you will need the bottom battery support pad from the battery box (yours has "Ducati Racing" moulded into it). In fact I don't think the smaller battery support will fit with that in there. You may find that the metal retaining clip that sits across the top of battery to hold it in place will need modding. Hopefully this will show you where it fits IMG_00162.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information