1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Qs Question

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Andrei_Multistrada, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Hello everyone.

Has it ever happened to anyone with 1260 model that when changing gear UP (only happens when changing up) using the QS (for example from 3-4 or 5-6) there is a half a second lag until the gear engages? really hard to explain, its like the clutch does not release for half a second to a second and then it does. So i loose drive for that period and after it snatches me like hell. Since I bought the bike this happened many times but I havent paid to much attention to it.

The bike in question is a 1260 GT from 2020 with around 15k km on the clock.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. The shift from 5th to 6th is dodgy at the best of times, it needs a firm boot to be sure.

I've experienced what you described on a number of occasions without really understanding why, but I did wonder if I was 'pre-loading' the lever prior to shift. It's easy to forget, but when I'm conscious of it, it rarely occurs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. How's your chain tension/condition? Critical for smooth QS operation.

4. This is good to know. Was thinking something is off with my bike. Will try and be more "snappy" with higher gear changes.

5. Tension seems to be good. I am checking t regularly. Taking the bike to the dealer in order to change to a 42 back sprocket and I will check the tension again afterwards.

6. ===

#6 Duncan*, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  7. Down-shifting is flawless (i know mechanically is much less demanding compared to up-shifting).

Its my first bike with QS and I cannot compare it to anything not having previous experiences. Is it Ducati in general or 1260s only?

I have a friend with a GS that I'll take for a ride to see the QS in action.

8. The QS does not involve the clutch in any way, it simply gives a slight engine cut at just the right moment to take pressure off the gears. Unfortunately Ducati's engine cut at times can be slightly off, slightly too long, or give a second cut right after the first (most common). Down shifting is the same but instead of engine cut it's a slight throttle blip. Also double blips will happen. Many have had improvements by running the tyre calibration program in the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Now that i think about it, this is exactly what happens. It can be dangerous if for some reason you are shifting up while overtaking (wont lie, happened to me a few times).

Thanks for the info about the clutch. I will try and do the tyre calibration although i recall doing it some time ago.

10. I was advised by my dealer’s workshop to recalibrate my V4 regularly. On track, I do it at the start of each day and when I road the bike on the road, once a month. Straightforward and easy to do on a particular part of a road I regularly use. Andy

11. IMO re-calibration will probably benefit you. The DQS is hideously awful as I see and use it, which I've had recently changed due to a rather serious loss of revs when changing up, so much so my head shot forward when trying to change gear. I've regularly experienced the lag between 4-5-6th gears, not caused or due to poor pedal use, simply as a direct result of the dreadful quality and calibration of the DQS as fitted.
    Try re-calibration and if this doesn't help, then I suggest a trip back to you local dealership to ask them to check errors and DQS functionality, is unlikely to be amiss. Oh and I seem to remember that there was a recall on some 1260 MTS models due to the direction/angle of the electrical switchgear on the QS where it attaches to the gear lever. Check this out too!

12. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Will follow the advice gotten here. Of course i am pursuing this after the warranty ended on the bike haha but better late than never. I never thought that the calibration is so important and i will make sure to do it regularly from now now.

Id suspect after market QSs arent any better, right?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information