1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad Lock Users - Charging Solution

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GarySN, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Just ordered one of these. Not cheap, but hopefully a neat solution, without any requirement for playing with plugs whenever the phone needs charging. Conversely, if the phone doesn’t need charging, it’s switchable.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I had a look at those, it’s a tad expensive at £90.
    Would be keen to hear how you get on with it once fitted.

3. Easy enough to get 10% discount by entering an email address. Takes a bit of the pain out of it.

4. Been looking at a Quad lock myself but an additional £90 for the charger? That is really taking the piss. Think I’ll just put up with manually charging it off the bike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's a fair point, but you paid a premium for your Ducati too.

I ride year-round, and I've probably paid out half that in charging cables over the years, plus the time spent replacing them when they fail. Given the convenience of use and the fit-and-forget factor, I'm willing to stump up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I’ve just bought a case for my phone off eBay for a tenner (out of stock with quad lock) and then the standard motorcycle bracket from quad lock. I’ve an iPhone 7 so no wireless charging but my bikes got a 12v socket on the bars anyway which I’ve stuck a twin usb into so no hard cheese really

7. I fitted mine last week, well almost. I needed to buy a 10mm spacer to get the position right so the screen wasnt obscured.. £11 (inc postage) for a spacer!!!!

Anyway I'm happy with the end result, the usb cable used to get pulled out by the force of the air at anything over 70. I was for ever plugging the thing back in so I needed a better solution and I quite like the quad lock solutions, I have mounts (non powered) in all the cars too.

added pic:
    20200613_145508.jpg

#7 MDUBZ, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. What phone are you using? Is there enough juice to run satnav and charge at the same time?

9. Samsung s8+ tbh I haven't used it in anger yet - i'd hope it would run maps and play simultaneously while charging

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Be careful when you use a phone with image stabilisation (pretty much any new phone). The quadlock bricks it.
    Shame, because it’s by far the neatest solution.
    I now put my phone in my pocket...

It’s crazy this doesn’t get mentioned anywhere. Because It kills the actual thing it’s trying to protect...

11. Care to elaborate?

12. If you own a Google Pixel good luck test fast in case you need to return it. They use a proprietary wireless solution that others CAN join... But most do not.
    I have their (Quadlock) wireless system in the car. It charges. But not at the fast speed. Some even say "Charging rapidly" but are limited to half the current that you get with an approved product. While wireless charging I could not run all the apps I normally could just plugged in (With the same wire)
    Even wired, it was hard to find a solution that did not involve installing a cigarette lighter receptacle onto the bike.
    I need "USB-C PD" through the wire.

I did it though. I just plug it in when I ride.

Rex

13. I had heard that (Mostly from Apple users but I think some Android) Almost all will burn up if you are using the camera...
    I have over 2k miles on mine and the phone is perfect whenever I get off the bike and take a pic.

It might be type of quadlock. Maybe the ones that go direct to the bars give more vibration. Mine is different because of the steering damper.

[​IMG]

From where I am it sits just below the actual bike display. It is also easy to adjust for glare

Rex

14. I have had an iPhone X and an 11 pro replaced ( both under warranty) because the camera went barmy.
    The first time I didn’t link it with the quad lock, the second time on the new phone I googled it. Seems it’s a common problem with quad locks and iPhone X and above.
    I have now got an old iPhone 6s as the bike phone and the 11 goes in my pocket.
    Shame really as I don’t want to carry two phones but I think apple will start to figure it out soon so don’t want to risk it again.

15. BUT
    Are you using the camera to film?
    Is it directly on the bars with their clamp?
    Or is it on an adjustable arm that might attenuate the vibrations?

Re4x

16. Both new iPhones have been on the yoke using the quad lock clamp.
    Only used on the bike for sat Nav, never filming whilst riding.

17. a ruggedised cable is only about a tenner... I’m a huge quad lock fan but struggle to see the value here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I've had ruggedised cables, but even they're not reliable in heavy rain.

19. Interesting. I've my iPhone X since they came out, along with a QuadLock case. Never had a problem. Is it only when using the phone to film while riding?

20. I think that is the key. It is not the way the phone is held. It is the mount.
    Too rigid.

Rex

Do Not Sell My Personal Information