1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question 2 (or 3, Or 4, Or 5, Etc, Etc)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I have given up on my Autotrader bike search coz I know what I am gonna get - and it is not a Ducati - but I also have a car search going on as I need to get one when the bar-stewards at the DVLA are made to give me my license. I know what I want ,but in the search results, they are polluted by outfits such as "Carzoo". The deal seems to be that you don't get to see the car, let alone test drive it, but you go by based upon their photographs and description and then they deliver to your house, after you've paid the full asking price. They just ring the doorbell and run away.

I would never ever entertain the idea of buying a second-hand car with seeing it and sitting in it. Then If i am really serious, then I would want a test drive.

It looks as though I am out of step with the masses, who buy a second-hand car without ever seeing it and the log book to ascertain that it wasn't a hire car or taxi in previous life. I get the impression that I am behind the times and just not gullible enough.

There doesn't seem to be anyone doing this gig for bikes, so either bikers are just not gullible enough, or that awaits.

2. A business model developed to save the used vehicle industry during the pandemic. It works for some and not for others. We just bought a new to us car, only after we saw it and test drove it. I don’t see the buy unseen business model replacing the used vehicle lot. Andy

3. "Saw it and test drove it" makes sense to me. It may be the Carzoo model grew up from the pandemic but that confuses me - you can see that I am an easily confused soul!

It is Lockdown City at the height of the Pandemic and you are lucky to be allowed into a food shop to buy essentials - with the bastid Police even hounding those that do, over what is and isn't essential. Whilst this chaos continues, one thinks, "feck all this sh1t! I need to by a second-hand car, NOW!" and so you see how I get confused.

4. Bikes have been sold like this for years

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Cars too.

6. I thought the deal was when it turns up if your not happy you return it under their 7 day money back guarantee. You can drive it up to 250miles within that period and still return for a full refund, you would gauge far more from that than a quick 20min test drive? How accommodating they are if you wish to return is another thing though (maybe?) I would go at it with the same attitude when hiring a car, give it a good look over inside and out when it was delivered and make them take note of any scratches or damage before you sign to accept (if your happy with it), because you can bet they’ll say you did it when you return it?

7. “I have had a particularly crap day, today, only partly salvaged by deciding to get a Pani V2.”

I guess the wind changed direction over the weekend then? ;):joy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. 180 degrees✔ I remembered why I am looking for another bike and I was too obsessed with having a full fairing - which means that you start looking a CRAP like Hondas. All I was looking for was simple FUN and I found that months ago with this:
    upload_2021-7-20_23-56-11.png
    Good power and very light weight and no pillion footrests, or even a pillion seat! And not at Ducati mad prices. I have a KTM dealer in Bristol and another one in Tewskesbury. Top suspension, top Brembo brakes, good tyres, which leaves me wanting to change.... nothing.
    All I need to do is get my ST2 back together so that I can part-ex it and get my license back.

I have now got a date next month for the driving assessment. My driving teacher (for this has suddenly become all about cars) reckons that I will fail the assessment and I would not give a toss, normally. For if I fail, I can just claim yet more compensation from the bastid insurance company. I only want to pass it to ride bikes and DVLA are not saying that if I do (by some miracle) pass, then I get my motorcycle categories restored.

It is all very confusing, as though you go along to take your car driving test, which you pass, and so you get a fail on your motorcycle test that you never even took - in effect. You would think that coz I was riding a motorcycle an was stupid enough to get knocked off it, by a blind car driver, they would want me to do something on a motorcycle, which I can't because I got too fecked up. I don't know how it works. Did they read the Police report attributing all of the blame to the other driver? Then they threw that in the bin muttering, "fecking rubbish" to themselves? Did they refuse to put the points on the other driver's license, because they did not agree that the courts got it right in finding her guilty of driving without due care. They thought that I should suffer for it?

Maybe, I am alone on this and maybe it is standard practice for those who have been driving for over 40 year to tear up their driving license and tell the DVLA that they now drive crap and should be made to take their test again. Or I am just not with the times. Perhaps the DVLA should go on strike again. Oh, the hard-working souls already are!

9. I've decided to forget about getting some sort of enduro. The plan still is to get a KTM Duke R if I ever get a driving license back but in a big fu*k you to the DVLA, I am going to get an electric bicycle to go with my existing mountain bike. I cycle every day on my indoor exercise bike and now I am going to start going out on by push-bike. I've got an eBike shop in nearby Stroud and I'll start talking to them about a purchase. Looks like I could get a fair way and I'll make the Forest of Dean my goal. According to Ride, the shortest route is to ride over the Severn Bridge. That could be a laugh but I might go via Gloucester as quieter.

10. What sort of eBike are you planning on buying? I’ve had about half a dozen in the past 4 years so I can give you the benefit of the often expensive lessons learned

• Like Like x 1
  11. This one. I've just talked to the store and they have some demo ones for me to try for frame size. Probably go in next Thursday for sizing. They have nothing in stock and are awaiting supply which surprises me not one bit!
    upload_2021-7-23_15-56-40.png

12. And I am thinking of this as my "fun" bike. Neeves, in MCN, reckons it's great apart from the front brake being a bit crap, but it is a Brembo. I could see and always upgrade the brakes. That would tempt me back to track days to seek out victims to embarrass!

upload_2021-7-23_16-2-19.png

13. No, no, no! NO trackdays!

14. Its a known brand so you should be ok but that’s no guarantee so check online for poor reviews or people ranting on social media. I recently bought a Van Moof S3 for my boy but it’s been an absolutely nightmare and it seems that numerous other customers are having similar issues

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. The biggest criticism of it seems to be that it has no "dropper post". I don't even know WTF a "dropper post" is! I think (and I can't believe that I am right because it is of no consequence to me, or anyone) is that you can't alter the saddle height whilst you are out riding. Why you would ever want to do this defeats me.

16. Found out now. I must of been finding some pathetic reviews....
    upload_2021-7-23_18-26-23.png

17. And my only stipulation is can I get to the Forest of Dean on it. That is about 35 miles away because of the bastid River Severn being in the way. Actually, I might turn the other way and hit the Fosse!

18. Deffo the Fosse.

19. You might get there but you might not get back as 70 miles on one charge is a big ask of an ebike unless the terrain is as flat as Holland and you keep it on its lowest power setting. For example, my Vintage Electric Tracker (upgraded more or less to “S” spec) can supposedly do about 70 miles but when I used to use it to commute into London from the suburbs (12.5 miles, so a 25 mile round trip) it was on its last legs by the time I got home.

20. Yes, the claimed range may be a little optimistic. I'll start local and se how it goes. There is the Severn Way to start with.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information