1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Question Regarding Exhausts An Mots

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by John W, Oct 8, 2018.

1. I've tagged this as 1299, but its anything really.

My R/T is far louder than my multi, but never had a silencer when it was made, so gets a 'noisy exhaust' comment. The same place wants me to put the original cat and silencer on my Multistrada at MoT time.

Looking at the complexity of fitting the full system to the Final Edition, and the V4, what is the story when MoT time comes around ?
    Do you have to refit the full standard system, just swap the cat bypass pipe for the cat (if this is possible), or what ?

I'm considering a Final Edition, but questioning if I want to get into the pain of an 8 hour swap over before and after each MoT, or whether the dealers will pass the system when the time comes.

Cheers,
    John.

2. It got very complicated after the changes implemented in May. Recently had the Diavel MoT'd and no mention was made of the full titanium Termignoni system although it did have the baffles in. My Multistrada has the homologated Leo Vince decat and end can and had no mention of failure with the baffle fitted or a requirement to refit the OE system. Sadly I think it still depends on who your tester is and what they are prepared to tolerate given that any subsequent challenge from the Rozzers will come home to roost. Andy

3. My bike had a fail and a pass on the same day from two different testing stations. Only has BOS carbon cans. The pass didn't even have a "noisy exhaust" advisory. The fail was a serious "Repair immediately" defect. Go figure. I did fit a new rear tyre straight away of course.

EDIT/ Just did a "View Test Station" on the MOT history search, and it was in fact the same test station. Should have known that from the identical mileage. They may have put the standard cans back on to pass it, and then put the BOS cans back on. I haven't collected the standard cans from the previous owner yet...
    MOT.jpg

#3 wadesnj, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. just guessing but it's seems "they" are reluctant to do this, perhaps mainly due to the associated complexities* that will obviously go with it, but they really need to start including foolproof* decibel measurement or the tester who has decided to start failing due to noise is only going to get ********* (insert as deemed appropriate) /frowned upon every time.

5. I suspect the new rules make it easier for the tester to define a fail.

6. Probably. Also makes it harder for a tester to use their discretion.
    It does sound like its the luck of the draw though, and so far no one has said there is an easy way to swap back to the standard setup if you need to.
    What a pain in the ar5e that will be if/when it becomes necessary :worried:

7. The wording of the defect type is surely still very subjective, no actual decibel limit, just the opinion of the tester! Comparing with what standard exhaust? What's a "Similar motorcycle"? A Harley factory system is louder than my BOS cans, so I should be OK if I take it to M&P in Swansea for an MOT. They passed my M600 with Termis in June!

Repair immediately (major defects):
    • Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar motorcycle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition (8.1.1 (a))

8. Pretty sure the latest MOT rules put it down to the opinion of the MOT tester?
    I've just had my 1098R MOT'd with the full race system, no baffles, and it passed without an advisory!
    The sound was so loud inside the testing station, bouncing off all the walls and everything was shaking! They loved it! Even heard them revving it a few times (not sure if it's part of the test :/).
    Also had my 1199 tested there previously which was probably just as loud, and that passed without any noise advisories.

Might need to find a bike friendly MOT garage!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. My MOT station is a bike service garage so im ok with the de cat multi. ( for Now) o_Oo_O

10. Not a Ducati but my new MT09 has a sticker near the headstock with a decibel number on it. At some point down the road I'm wondering if it's going to make a difference at MOT time..

11. as long as people don't take the piss with stupid loud exhausts fitted you should be ok mot time, if you have baffles put um in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I had an MOT once where the guy failed the lad in front of me in the queue, sold him some baffles for £40, retested, bought them back for a tenner, lad rode off with no baffles...!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information