1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question:

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jan 19, 2021.

1. I've pretty much decided to buy myself a new bike when...
    I get my license restored
    get better
    get compensation

The list (from extensive research sat on my ass) is the Kawasaki Versys 650, Yammy 900 Tracer GT, or some used BMW with a Chinky, parallel twin engine.

I discounted the two Ducati possibles (Supersport S or Multi 950) mainly on cost grounds as well as the 19" wheel on the Multi.

But... Mr Toomuchtimetothink here, is wondering! Quality?

I will buy new, or nearly new, and the Ducatis are around £3k at least more than my current top of the list, the Kawasaki Versys 650 Grand Tourer, but what about quality? I haven't had a jap bike for over 15 years.

With a Ducati Supersport S, I get Ohlins plus a more sophisticated ride system with modes, etc. but I am really just interested in the quality of the bike, like finish, nut and bolt quality, and plastics.

But, would people who have, or recently had, Jap bikes, particularly recent Kwackers, say that there is a clear quality difference between Ducatis and Kawasakis?

Whatever I buy will be a keeper (unless I smash it up again....)

2. Have you considered either a 790 or 890 KTM?

3. Yes. I discounted the KTM because of all this 18/19" front wheel crap and the (frankly just irritating) journo crap about what you really want to do is to spin off the tarmac and hit the dirt!

I want a bike with 17" wheels for use on UK tarmac roads only and Europe, maybe. I will be using it for tarmac touring (I'm Mr NotTrendy) in the UK, Ireland and then Europe.

I want something that comes with panniers, ideally, although with the Ducati, I can get factory panniers that add about another grand to the price. That's why the Kawasaki Versys Grand Tourer seems such a good buy (for me). It has everything that I want (and more, like the top box and spot lights) for just over £9k.

4. Not had a Kawasaki, but three Honda’s before my Ducati and two after. The difference in quality is why I’ll never buy another Ducati (unless they up their game dramatically).

5. Given that Honda quality is not going to be significantly different to Kawasaki, then you don't rate Ducati quality?

6. #6 GarySN, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  7. Tbh there really aren’t too many bad bike manufacturers nowadays

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks - useful links.

I'm pretty convinced (even more so, now) that I'll test ride the Kawasaki Versys 650 and buy it new if I like it. I can buy it from my closest bike dealer and the Grand Tourer version means that I could buy it and eff off to France (or Spain) the next day! I've watched a few movies on YouTube and it seems the business for me - a huge tank giving a good 250 mile range and the "only" 650 engine seems fine for what I want with about 120 -130 top speed, about 50mpg and on one video a guy wheelies it(not sure if it was a power one, or a clutch one) but as it proves there is some poke there and I don't intend to wheelie it, anyway

It comes with a 24 month warranty and to keep that up, getting it serviced at Frasers will not be a problem.

Just the small matter of getting my driving license restored, sorting out family, and getting my legal case settled. I got an email from my sol today and she is working on my case.

I cannot take the risk of buying the bike and fecking off to Spain before my case is settled. If Hastings got to hear about it (they would first have to acknowledge that I exist) you can bet that their argument would be, "Look, he's riding a brand new bike to Spain, so no harm done, so we won't settle and the claimant can get fooked!".

9. sorry about all of my BS. I've found it now - no "adventure" sh1t, but a bike designed purely for tarmac - and I can buy at my nearest bike dealer. Unfortunately it will definitely not be another Ducati - the Kawasaki may be crappier, but it is miles cheaper than any new, or nearly new, Ducati - and I have no desire on getting an expensive bike with mad horsepower and stupid maintenance requirements - that even Ducati acknowledge is stupid. I did not want to buy Jap, particularly, but they produce a simple 650 with130mph capability and reasonable range,. As I won't be getting it taken by van to Spain (not trendy, I know) but I will be touring then this bike makes real sense.

Only thing that I'm not sure about is whether to part-ex one of my Ducatis. I am not tempted to as I will get scrap value for them (virtually, due to age - not mine, but the bike's!) but the ST3 has not even done 10,000 miles yet and I can always use that for tours as well. With the ST2, I was doing the valve shims when I was smacked off my Monster (not literally at the same time!) and I want to finish that but not go all through the hassle just to part-ex it and get virtually nothing for it. So, I may end up with 3 bikes again! But I will almost certainly not be getting a car again.
    upload_2021-1-24_16-4-37.png

upload_2021-1-24_15-56-17.png

10. I've said this to you before probably, but if you are only going to get scrap value -if you don't need the cash - why would you? Meddling with them, riding them once in awhile, having a winter project, is probably worth far more than scrap.

11. Agreed. I could just play! And I might look into some tuning work. If there is not enough room in the garage (although I used to get three bikes in there) then I could always invest in a cover and leave one outside. With no car, then there will be tots of space!

12. At what point did Ducati drop the ball quality wise then? Or have they always been crap? I’ve only ever had Ducatis so couldn’t tell how they are really. A bit highly strung maybe but mine have been fairly solid, bar the electrics which admittedly have been weak.

13. I'm not saying that there was a drop in quality - just some of the comments that I've read here. My "Y" reg ST2 and my "08" ST3 are fine - so far as I know, as neither has been started in over 2 years! I will be very careful with them and turn them over by hand without racing them. I'll just run the ST3 on no load and then strip it to check valve clearances and change the belts. As far as I know, that bike has never had either done.

Part of my physio orders and nurse's orders are not to sit around so much but get active!

So, enough sitting on my backside looking at YouPube vids and get these Ducatis sorted!

I'm not sure that I will buy a Kwacker now - or anything. I should just keep my Ducatis!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information