1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions From New Sss Owner

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Deepak, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hi Guys,

2 weeks into my SSS ownership and I have a few questions:

1. Power Source for SATNAV: I've read that there's a Switched power source under the R/H side tank, that can be used to power SATNAV / Phone. I'm wondering if that's better or Using a long USB Cable, and looping it under the seat and tank, connected to the USB Outlet under the seat.

2. I'm contemplating on getting the exhaust upgraded to the Akrapovic silencers (NOT the Full system). I was looking for some feedback from folks who've done this upgrade over Stock; Is it more loud? Does it generate more heat?

3. I have the Oxford Solar Trickle charger, connected to my garage wall. What's the best way to get that connected to the bike's battery? Ideally, I'd like something permanently connected to the battery (but concealed) so that I can just roll the bike into my garage, and connect the solar charger. Any suggestions? I read that there's a port/outlet under the seat, that can be used to charge the battery, but can that be connected to a trickle charger?

Thanks in advance guys

2. In answer to 3, the port under the seat is where I’ll be trickle charging mine over the winter.

Can’t help with the others, welcome to Supersport ownership!

3. 1. There are apparently two sets of extra connections, one at the front left and one at the front right, one is for heated grips. The other? I'd check with the dealer perhaps on a new bike. I had mine wired to the fuse box by the electrician at the dealer. Didn't want to risk warranty problems.

2. I had the Akra slip ons, most people will insist there is no change in sound. But I found that the note was slightly deeper, not worth it for the sound but perhaps for the improvement in looks. It's quite a loud exhaust in standard trim. I have the Termi system on mine complete with baffle and it's loud, you lose loads of weight, the cat, get rid of the exhaust valve get around 5bhp extra and it doesn't look like a wheel barrow. (Akra system). All for around the same money as the slip ons.

3. You can get a lead that connects to the OBD port under the seat for a trickle charger, it's what the Ducati one connects to.

4. On mine there are 3 plugs to the right of the headstock. Two are the heated grip plugs and the other is the switched power supply. I fitted a USB adaptor to the last one that has a waterproof socket that sits next to the ignition key.

5. And it is ignition switched 12V. I fitted two 2-way Superseal sockets to mine. One straight to the TomTom cradle, the other is a spare if I need it.

6. Does it need to be dealer-enabled? I've wired up a power lead to my Garmin cradle, but it doesn't show a charging light on the sat nav. I've yet to check that there is actually power coming through, but as I'm reading this, I thought I'd ask...

7. No need to be enabled The auxiliary plug is wired straight from the fuse box on the same circuit as the USB socket and the connector for the optional Bluetooth unit. It is ignition switched. You've either got a bad connection or the polarity reversed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Derek.
    I'll get the multimeter out tomorrow and have a look.
    Funnily, the Garmin reacts appropriately when the ignition is switched off, so it must be sensing something.

9. Eh! What does that mean? I have a TomTom. It switches on when I turn on the ignition and goes to sleep when I turn the ignition off. What is your Garmin doing?
    I don't know if it's significant but connector provides ignition switched 12V and (I presume) the TomTom cradle converts it to 5V for the Satnav unit.

10. Garmin 660. If it's turned on in the cradle when ignition turned off, it tells me "power lost, turn off or stay on (battery)?" It's doing this currently, so perhaps my recall of the charge green light being on is incorrect ...
    I'll put a meter on it tomorrow PM. I've found a pin out which indicates top two pins are supply and ground. Yes, I'll confirm polarity.

11. Hi Bob...what type of usb conector did you use? Are there any on market that will fit the Ducati plug?

12. Not sure that there are any on the market. I took one of the pigtail blanks out and soldered a waterproof USB female socket to that. The USB end is available from ebay for peanuts and 2 minutes soldering and heat shrink costs nothing.

13. Ok thanks just thought you had found 1 on the market...i’ll take a look as the port under the seat is in a usless position i think

14. You could use the port under the seat with a USB extension lead coming out of the front of the seat or routing it under the tank.
    If you want to send me one of your pig tail blanks then I'll get another USB from ebay and solder it up for you. It will just cost you the price of the bits and the postage.

15. Thanks for the offer but i’ll be ok

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information