1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Quick Oil Question....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Whilst at the Ducati Aylesbury dealer, I enquired what oil is in my bike, as they did the oil change before I bought it.
    The parts guys looks up the history of my bike and says they used Motol 300V 15W50.
    So I bought a litre top up bottle. Quite expensive oil, but online research indicated its the best oil for the engine.
    Any comments ?

Cheers

2. Motul do not recommend 300V for road bikes that do more than average miles as it lacks the quantity of detergents that help keep the engine relatively clean like their 7100 has. 300V is an excellent oil which I use in my track bikes but I use 7100 in my Multistrada. Andy

#2 Android853sp, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 7100 was the oil I used for my Hyper, based on info here and my own reasoning.

4. I don't have the owners book to hand, what does it say in there ?

What I bought is just for top ups if required, next spring it will get a oil and filter change and I can select something different if required.
    I'm only doing say 2K a year on this bike and no track days !!

5. Ducati Leeds put Motul in my DVT one service. Previously i had used the Ducati recommended Shell Advance.

With the Motul the gearchange felt more mechanical and less smooth than with the Shell.

The next service i took my own oil (Shell) and had them use that instead. Happy once again.

6. I couldn't buy Shell Advance with the recommended viscosity range when I looked last year. I used Opie Oils for my Motul 7100 delivery; might be worth giving them a call.

7. I have been in the motorcycle trade since the early 80's. I have worked with lots of companies and several oil companies and more than a few racers and race teams

Motul and Motorex are the best two motorcycle oil companies. They are the only two actually involved directly in MotoGP development and racing on a large scale (do not just believe the sponsor stickers on fairings). I would only ever use one or the other in my bikes. Cornerspeed just put Motul in my Multi on a service.

I have personally delivered one of those above brands to Silverstone race circuit on two separate occasions and took it into the back doors of the (Ducati) teams in question garages with the boxes covered up as they were unhappy with their use of Shell that was their team sponsor. (different race teams)

They actually preferred to BUY another brand and as a result had more engine longevity and reliability by doing so. No actual names or teams mentioned of course, that would be unprofessional...

I have done similar for a major Suzuki race team too.

BUT, you guys use whatever you wish in your own bikes. There is a reason why Motul and Motorex are so popular with the world's top race teams though ... and that isn't the price ;)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information