1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Quick Release Dzus Fasteners

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Old Jock, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Just in case some are not aware.

As the 10/1198 & 848 fairing panels have a ridiculous number of fasteners locating them, a lot of people go to quick release fittings

The only game in town that I knew was available was Kurvey Girl in the US
    https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=104_100&osCsid=cg4u1rp8gh7t005gbgmcpj8t72

However these kits require drilling of both fairings and frame, it is though the most comprehensive kit and the only kit available if you want the fasteners with a black finish

An alternative I stumbled across & while a less comprehensive kit is a (partial) alternate and doesn't need any drilling

http://www.speedyfasteners.com/Ducati_1198_1098_848_Fairing_Dzus_Kit_p/sf7555.htm

They also do a more comprehensive fairing kit but it's only other fasteners the number of Dzus fasteners supplied are the same

http://www.speedyfasteners.com/Ducati_1198_1098_848_Fairing_Dzus_Kit_p/sf755.htm

In general they have a great selection of fasteners of all kinds too, so even if its not Dzus your after they might also have something (like shouldered bolts) to suit the application

No affiliation or connection, just spreading the word of what I thought was a good supplier and a cheaper than Pro Bolt (but who isn't)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Got to agree. They were very helpful with missing DZUS for my NSR, and sent them out speedily, even tho' tiny orders.

3. So to add to and revive an old thread

Due to shear stupidity I ended up with both the Kurvey Girl & Speedy Fastener kit.

The Speedy Fastener Kit comes with no instructions, bit of a bummer. However from what I can ascertain the fasteners are for the row along the top of the fairing, including the fasteners tucked under the nose, but not the 2 poppers that you lever with a screwdriver. However I felt that the 2 at the rear on the top that screw into the slip ons which are retained by the frame lugs are really too small. You could possibly get some nylon washers to cover the fairing hole and secure it, but they would need to be around 16mm diameter and at least 1mm thick, preferably 2mm for rigidity.

So that leaves you with the option of getting the 6mm wide by 17mm long, but for these to fit you will need to open up the frame tabs slightly. I tried a drill and found it tended to grab, so went to using a cone shaped grinding attachment that I have with a Dremel and it worked much smoother with better control. It's only a very small amount and won't have any ramifications if you decided to go back to putting the bolts in (I think).

I'm just going to use the fasteners that came with the Kurvey Girl kit, as I might use a lot of the other fasteners provided later, I haven't made up my mind, but if you ordered 4 of these

http://www.speedyfasteners.com/Dzus_Fasteners_15mm_35mm_Bail_Handle_Panex_DRing_p/sf114.htm

17mm length they would work

So for the fairing top you would also need 8 of these, the smaller ones work fine for the forward holes joining the body work again 17mm length

http://www.speedyfasteners.com/Small_Dzus_Fasteners_4mm_x_17mm_Bail_Handle_D_Ring_p/sf1191.htm

For the 3 fasteners required at the bottom the of the fairing you can either use the 4mm 17mm length and space out the hole with a nylon washer or drill out the tab side (that the slip on slides onto) to a little over 6mm and install the larger 6mm type.

I've now probably got a ridiculous number of extra 4mm Dzus now so once I've counted them and decided what I need, I'll just sell the extra on, but only after I've checked and subscribed.............wouldn't want El T sending the boys round for a chat

Cutting to the chase.................You will still need to pop out the 4 poppers at the front and unscrew 4 domed hex screws (one at the rear lower down & the one at the front approx midway up the fairing per side) but the rest can be removed using Dzus.

What I've suggested should work better than the Speedy kit and the Kurvey Girl offering entails quite a bit of drilling and IMHO is a bit of overkill unless you're tracking and popping them on and off several times in a day

John

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. When I had a 1098 I used the Kurvey Girl fasteners with my glass fibre track fairings and the OEM bolts with the road fairings. Drilling the frame tabs does not affect using the OEM bolts. The captured nuts for the OEM bolts just slide on and off the tabs like before.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks, I've got a set of carbon fairings (thanks Fraser) that are still waiting to go on my 1098R and was looking at Dzus fasteners the other day as it really is ridiculous how many you have to undo to pop a fairing panel off!! I think I'll probably go with drilling the tabs out a shade to get the 17x6 through them. Do you have any problems of clearance of the d-rings on the fairing panel itself as some bolt holes are a bit recessed?

6. I didn't use D-ring dzus. I used screw-head dzus. No problems with these.

7. I've fancied a set of small black ones for my 1098R, but can't work out what to order. :worried:

8. I bought a set from Kurvygirl or whatever its called. I had to open the holes a tad on my fairings but definitely not my frame lugs. They're excellent, get some. And take that leap of faith with yer cordless....

9. Cheers. :upyeah:

Not cheap, are they? :thinkingface:

1098 Kit

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. demon tweeks do aluminium ones

11. They would have to be black for my bike.

12. I’ve finally plucked up the courage to order the Kurvey Girl kit and will be going at the fairings *extremely* carefully at the weekend!

To be continued...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Looking at the Kurveygirl kit, only a few of the fasteners are the "D Ring" type, most of them, athough Dzus, still need an allen key to release them. I'd want "D Ring" fasteners all round. :thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information