1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Quick Shifter

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by cookster, May 16, 2018.

1. Hi guys anyone running a quick shifter on there 996?? I know the 1098 series of bike have weak gear boxes but not so sure of the 996 ?my mate ran one on his 996 biposto track bike for years and never had a problem, I want to run race shift as well as I found it goes into gear a lot better. Cheers guys.

2. i run a Quickshifter on my 996, its integrated into my PowerComander, although not an original PowerCommander sensor.
    i run standard shift and the clearance is tight for the shifter sensor on the shift rod, but there are plenty of options for race shift, but non of them are cheap
    to note, i destroyed my gearbox just over a year ago, output shaft and bearing, coincidence? not 100% sure to be honest

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I wanted to try one on my track bike mate of mine said go ahead if you want to wreck the box.
    I didn't and I still have the box.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Im not convinced mine damaged the gearbox, as the change up was smooth, and i would hazard a guess, smoother than the clutch-less shifts i was doing prior to fitting it :)

5. If the ignition cut and delay timings are correct then I can’t see why a quickshifter would cause a gearbox to fail. I didn’t set mine up properly on my 1098 and that’s my my gearbox went.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. From what i can gather they don't appear to be a recommended accessory - not sure why tho - but i want one too!!

HealTech seem ok if cheap/basic-ish and i was looking at TransLogic one at £300-ish but may go for a slipper clutch instead!

• Like Like x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  7. Hi Cooks, I run a quickshifter on a 996 with an STM evo slipper clutch. Upshift with slight pressure on the clutch lever and hardly any movement in throttle produces almost seamless gear changes, down shifting using clutch as normal from any engine/road speed is (apart from a slight “chattering” through the lever) is hardly noticeable. Not much chance to practice racing or flat-out race track shifting here but thanks to a smoother and very positive gear change the whole riding experience at any speed is much more focused and relaxing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I've got a bucci slipper clutch in mine so hopefully that will help of I do fit one.

9. I've ran a quick shifter on my track 996SPS for the last 15 years, along with a reverse shift, and never had any problems.
    I have had the engine apart quite a few times, the dogs and shift forks are in good condition. Set up properly there should be no problems.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. For race shift pattern, the HM shifter takes some beating. Direct mount on to gearbox shaft, sensor built in to the lever. Simple and reliable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I've just bought a Healtech for my 848, I'm going to set the cut times quite 'safe', from what I've read, big torquey engines don't like it if you go lower than 55ms. The Healtech looked a bit cheap but then I went to see my mate race and he has been using one for a year and it's been perfect and he demo'd the bluetooth connection and showed me the setup and it's really good. it's adjustable through the rev range and far easier to set up than a HM for example.

12. Healtech are pretty good. Use one on my Scrambler. If the op was staying with road shift, I’d use one. For race shift, the HM is a one fit solution.

13. It will be race shift if I fit one.

14. What’s the point of a QS if you have to touch the clutch and back the throttle off a bit! You want to simply pin it thru the gearbox: no clutch, no back off, just open throttle all the way.

HM was brill on my gixer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I've got translogic on my gsxr it's brill.

16. I’ll try that next time commuting in rush hour on M25 to Gatwick...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Make sure you have the GoPro on ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information