1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Quickshifter Healtech Or Translogic?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DRL, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Hi guys feeling the urge to get a quickshifter, I definitely miss the one I had on my 675r .... What one do you recommend? The translogic or the Healtech? Are there any advantages of one over the other besides costs

2. translogic for me

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I wouldn’t bother, not a gearbox designed with a quickshifter in mind and far too many reports of gearboxes lunching themselves due to incorrect set up. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I’m inclined to agree with this, but if you do want to do it, I would personally go with translogic.

I had the healtec on my 848 Evo, the bike was tricky to calibrate because it disables the coils after a few seconds of the ignition on and no start. Then when I got it set right for some RPM range it was horrible. I had 3-4 100mph box full of coal moments and honestly it scared me enough to take it off. Following that, the bike had a tendency to drop into a false neutral downshifting from 4th/3rd which was observed by myself and my mate riding it.

my bike was a 10k miles immaculate 848 evo

5. Yeah don't want to ruin the box, I assume the box is the same as the SE version that comes with the qs as standard .... I guess it's about getting it set up right .... Does the trabslogic one do anything better than the Healtech? Is it easier to set up?

6. I think the translogic has an ECU and has some auto adjustment and self learning. The Healtec tries to do this but not well, the SE has the same gearbox but obv a fully integrated shifter with the main ECU on the bike so it is able to read many more sensors and potentially shut fuel off etc

7. From what I’ve heard- Translogic is boss.

I’m running a plug and play HM on my V4S, so far so good....

8. I’ve had quickshifters on loads of different bikes and recently had a Healtech on an 848. I had Steve Jordan set it up on a dyno and it was faultless.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Healtech uphill and down dale. I had a HM on my 1098 and it was crude - you just need a to set up the killtime properly on the Healtech and they are extremely smooth.

The bloke above talking about "not a gearbox designed with a QS in mind is probably 80. I also had a Healtech on a 748R for track - that's a fair bit older - and I never had any problems. It''s a statement of the obvious that if you can't set up a modification properly you may do damage, it doesn't mean the modification under all circumstances is a problem :rolleyes:

10. To be fair my HM seemed a bit clunky at first. But it seemed to ‘learn’ as a lot of this electronics does these days. It runs perfect now...

11. If you are going to go down the QS route, then Cordona are worth considering. A lot of the lads in Sweden used to run these
    on the older Ducatis and I never heard any complaints.
    https://www.cordona.net/

12. As I’m a numpty as far as mechanical stuff goes why are Healtech/Translogic considered better than the OE QS.

I quite like the OE version and (so far) have never had a problem on any of the bikes that have had the QS, so I’d be interested to hear people’s comments.

13. To be honest the OE on my V4S worked perfectly well. But they have a dreadful reputation for failing. So when my gear position sensor failed I preempted my quick shifter doing the same so replaced it with an HM plug and play.

The more modern stuff is strain gauge technology. Solid state and deemed more reliable. OE stuff is predictably cheaper and is basically a mechanical switch type to ignition kill.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’m 66 and ride a 748R and a 1098R, neither of which were designed for a quick shifter. The fact that with care, you can make an after market product work doesn’t change that fact. I also ride a V4S with the OE quick shifter that works fine, as it was designed to do. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Guys he is talking about putting one on his 848 that doesn’t have one, and doesn’t have a loom for it... not whether it’s better than the V4 etc

16. I just fitted a Translogic to my 848 Evo and works perfectly straight out of the box. Its a piece of kit and transforms the ride.

#16 1040, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2020
  17. I fitted the Q/Shifter from the 1198SP to my 2009 1198S, needed a configuration file change in the ECM for the bike to recognise it, fitting was no problem due to the my bike having the wiring to connect to.

It's very basic with no dwell adjustment& worked nicely on the road but wasn't fast enough on the track at higher revs & caused me to miss a gear now & then or get a false neutral. (no slop in the linkage & set up correctly)

I've changed it to a race pattern HM shifter & fitted a BSD C/Ratio gearbox, it now shifts fast & smoothly, not sure if that is due to the shifter, the gearbox or both.

Regarding the point about gearbox damage, the selectors on the original box (20,000 miles) had worn past their wear limits but the gears were still serviceable

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information