1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Race Seat

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by cookster, Sep 4, 2017.

1. hi guys does anyone know if a can buy a 996 race seat unit which uses the original lock and latch unit?? i know i can buy load of aftermarket seat units which just bolt on but would like one that fits nice and neat so i can just swap and change seats any ideas??

cheers

2. Mine does but no idea what make it is. Wil look later.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mine does too but I can't look at it before the weekend. Will try to remember then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. cheers guys much appreciated :upyeah:

5. All of the aftermarket seat units will do what you're looking for. I have a complete solo seat option and the original biposto unit in the shed. All it needs to change over is pull apart the hinge pins and unclip the rear lights and swap. Then just screw on the rear foot rests. 20170902_150242.jpg 1.JPG

6. No name on mine Cookster.

7. Many aftermarket seats including fibrglass and carbonfibre dont have the threaded inserts to fit the seat lock and plate, which is used to mount the rear light unit.

However they can easily be made up and fibreglassed or bonded in. I have done a number of single seat conversions like this and they all have worked perfectly. I do however make my own inerston a lathe from alloy and then drill and tap them.

You often need spacers to lift the year of the seat up to allow it to clear the exhaust but this depends on how your seat is set up, the subframe and what seat plate you are using. I use an original flat plate as per a 748R but there are ones that are available on eBay that use the Biposto plate and are specially shaped to allow rear light mounting.

If the race seat has rear lights you will need one of the mounting plates, if it's a straight race seat then the light mounting pegs which screw into the plate won't be needed.

8. @Red998 nice one mate, ideally id like to try and find one which i can bold a latch to, but as you said might have to make something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. A "genuine" race seat does not have the fittings to take a conventional seat lock. The reason behind this is that it sits on an alloy subframe and normally uses a Carbon fibre attacment that bolts to the subframe which allows the race seat to be held by three (or less) Dzus fasteners. You therefore only have to drill holes to get the seat to fit and then use appropriate length fasteners.

Below are some photos of my CE Composit Carbonfibre 998RS style seat. Bought for £25 on eBay!! and worth sunbstantially more, the seller thought it was lightweight fibreglass!!!!!!

Yoy can see where I have bonded in the fittings for the seat plate and also made spacers to allow the seat to be fitted to a stock Biposto subframe. Note the riser block on the front of the seat to make it sit correctly on the subframe. The front of a genuine race seat has a bolt on quick release plate that hooks into the modified frame. The seat therefore does hinge at the front but lifts off completely.

I think that should give you a rough idea of direction, additionally I also have a locking kit from Mad Duc in the US that does away with the need for a key to unlock the seat. They are very expensive if still made though.

As a final point I have also made in the past a post setup to fit a biposto seat frame that allows the seat to be held by one Dzus fastener through the seat top behing the rider, it's quite stable and works as per a genuine race style seat setup. It does however need machinig facilities to make it work correctly.

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I will show photos, when I can get to the shed, I machined the threaded inserts, (aluminum) made a mold out Delrin and used metal- filled-epoxy (Devcon) to cast the mount-cones around the machined inserts, then epoxy glued the mounts to the seat bases, very tidy and spreads the load over a larger area of the Carbon/ Kevlar Seat base making the mount stronger.

#12 breakout998, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I think it is fiberglass, what is called chopped strand and cheaper seats have dual material construction; Glass fibre core with a sheet of carbon cloth on the out side for appearance? that seat doesnt look like a Composite seat, more like a chinese seat?
    I will post images of illumberger , Ms, and Composite seats and mounts if you are interested.
    Where the paint (red) has been knocked of displays a white base?
    proper seats are made of carbon cloth (black/grey) for the body and the edges are rimmed in a brown tape, (kevlar) not one seat I have seen looks like this one, only offered in the spirit of getting it right?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. The "white" is actually cutting compund where the seat was polished. My seat is fully genuine Carbonfibreone and bears the makers name stamped on the inside. The carbonfibre was however very thin so I glassed in some extra strips of tape as a safety measure, hence why it probably looks like fibreglass.

It had been used as a pukka race seat and had the three holes for the Dzus fasteners which also needed filling in, again I used fibreglass and despite this it is still lighter than the 100% fibreglass ones I have come across.

I also hae an ex race Ilmberger seat from a 998RS which was made fully from kevlar. However due to it being damaged and much work needed to repair it I found that after repair is wasn't that much lighter than the cheaper fibreglass copies about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thanks again guys.

14. lots of good info there, I use a glassfibre seat from Sebimoto with the self made backet bonded into the inside.
    what are the options for the internal frame (Carbon etc) I find my rear seat becomes unlatched on track quite often and I would like to go the other way and use the Duz fasteners, any pointers to where I can get the bracket would be welcome..

15. Bad boy, Composite are laying staff off, your Chinese manufacture may well make nose-cones for the rouge states ICBMs? feel good now about avoiding Europes prices for better products?

16. Chinese make fake Rolex watches and iphones as well: in this day a brand may indicate real value, or real fraud

Do Not Sell My Personal Information