1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Racing Dash

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Nostromo, May 25, 2020.

1. If the immo is disabled in the ECU then I believe it would be possible to fit an analogue dash providing speed readout was not required. All the other data could be intercepted from the sensors except for barometric pressure (this sensor is built into the dash). When I used an LM-2 on a Canbus bike I just built some intercept cables to get the data required. For example Tacho was taken from the coils, engine temp was taken from the temp sensor etc. I believe the lack of barometric pressure would not be a problem with it being a track bike. This would make a race dash install cheaper.
    This is from the service manual
    The following signals are exchanged
    between the instrument panel and
    the ECU over the CAN line:
    – Motorcycle speed (input to engine
    ECU)
    – Idling (input to engine ECU)
    – Engine oil pressure (input to engine
    ECU)
    – Coolant temperature (input to
    engine ECU)
    – Lubricant temperature (input to
    engine ECU)
    – Starter motor actuation (starter
    button) (input to engine ECU)
    – First level diagnostics generated by
    ECU
    – Engine rpm (input to engine ECU)
    – Scheduled service limit (instrument
    panel LED lights up)
    – Intake air temperature (input to
    instrument panel)
    – Battery voltage
    – Motorcycle model identification
    – EOBD led control
    – Immobilizer recovery
    – Atmospheric pressure (sensor
    integrated in the instrument panel).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cheers for the info Chris!

3. Gawd, this bloody subject makes me start trembling like an Alsatian taking a dump...

But after flirting with disaster Mick at BSD gave the definitive answer on a few options, one of which is the 1098 dash mentioned:

You could of course use a dash from a 1098 if you prefer it, the CAN protocol is the same so ECU would be happy, just a couple of warning lights to blank off and I can sell you a wiring adaptor from 1098 to 999 wiring.”

I ended up finding a used AiM MXS at the right price, and he supplied a small kit of parts to make it talk nice. But I’ve got the shits with trying to fit it to a race stay, the connectors perfectly clash with the mounts, so I’m hoping putting my head in the sand will fix things while fussbudget other parts of the project.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information