1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing Ecu Issues S4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RichyThompson, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Following on from my S4 won't start thread. I fitted a new ECU from eBay Italy E190 and the bike starts, revs freely etc, but the test ride didn't go brilliantly, there is no low down grunt and it stalls on the overrun and pops and bangs at low revs. Starts great though. I have a chopped lid modded airbox and Termi cans so I thought I might get away without refitting the Power commander and without getting the old map from my original ECU swapped on to the new one but now thinking I should get back to how it was before I had issues. Any advice welcome!

2. The ecu isn’t a straight forward plug n play. You’ll need the TPS reset and probably get the mixture set. I’d get this done before trying to mask over with the power commander. Could/will save some head scratching down the line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks Nelly, I'll check TPS. I was hoping to avoid using the power commander, seems like old technology.

4. I got the Jdiag software up and running after issues with it. I have one fault code P0120 relating to the TPS circuit.

Closed the TPS is at 2.9 and resets at that.

It might be a Jdiag glitch? but without the engine running (haven't tried it with) the TPS reading as you open the throttle keep diving to 0 in the mid range of throttle which is where the engine was dying. Anyone seen that before on a healthy set up?

So maybe the issue is a faulty TPS as indicated by the code. Airbox off again then and I'll wiggle some wires....

Interestingly, the racing ECU states within the script that gets displayed as a note on Jdiag words to the affect of; that it needs "adjusting to the serial number" I don't suppose the TPS 0sI'm seeing, mid range are designed into the ecu make the user get it mapped properly?

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

5. Have you licensed the ECU with JPDiag? If not PM me the serial number of the ECU. The TPS should read 2.9 throttle closed and about 85 throttle wide open. You should not see zeros. As an alternative to JPDiag download IAWDiag from the Guzzidiag site. It uses the same cables and does not need a license.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hello Chris, Thank for the reply. I'm getting 2.9 closed and 85ish open, but these weird 0s in-between. Re registration, I went through the copy text, add email and bike model process that takes you to the web and the message said that the software is free for IAW59. Might give IAWdiag a try!

7. Yes, 59m is license free

8. Sounds like your sensor may be faulty and need replacing, tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks, that's so obvious it escaped me! or could be the wiring to it, I'll have a play with it.

Struggling find a reference to an S4 or IAW59 on the Guzzidiag. Is there another bike that uses that ecu that I can click on?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sounds like you've got it all covered, so we'll leave you to it :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Download IAWDiag, choose preferences, select IAW59M (there are two options, I used the first one)

12. Perfect! Thank you for your help. This works a lot better than Jpdiag for me. The error code is the same as with IAWdiag but the explanation for it is "TPS value too low". That at 2.9 degrees, if I increase it to 3, the error code disappears! The TPS reset facility isn't happening for me with either program so I've set it manually. The bike seems to be running a lot better but the MOT has run out so testing is limited to a short lane next to my house.

13. Is your bike equipped with a linear or non-linear TPS. That is, does the TPS have elongated slots so it can be adjusted. If it does then the TPS is set using a multimeter and slackening the bolts so it can be turned to get the correct voltage.

14. Iirc the s4 has the old slotted version, as per 996 etc

15. Yes slotted!

The learning curve continues! I What is the correct voltage with the throttle closed? I have a multimeter. I set it at 2.9 degrees using the diagnostic software and it threw up the error code. It seems happy at 3 degrees as the code clears, but it sounds like going down the voltage route would be best.

16. I think these have 5v in.
    I had a dodgy tps with a worn track inside. There was a hole in the voltage at certain throttle openings.

17. The TPS should be set to 150mV ±5mV with the balance linkage disconnected, the fast idle cable and throttle cable disconnected and the throttle stop back off until it is clear of the stop so that the butterflies are fully closed. You will have to backprobe the TPS connector with a DVM set to the 200mV range. Measure across the orange and black/violet wires and gently move the TPS to achieve the required voltage. Believe me it's an arduous task. The slightest movement of the TPS sends the voltage way off and it tends to move as you tighten the screws. Once you are happy with the TPS voltage, for the S4 wind in the throttle stop until the meter reads 339mV, equivalent to 1.8º. Then re-attach the balance linkage and the cables.
    The whole process is outlined on Brad Blacks site.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Golly that does sound tricky! And Brad Black has my measure in the first paragraph! :( Wondering if pressing 'reset tps' has caused me a big problem..

#19 RichyThompson, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  19. Don't worry, it just doesn't do anything if the ECU software is not designed for it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information