1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle Can Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by postmaster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Im well into my annual deep clean and service on the two bikes I used last year and need to do a bit of paint work. So where's the best place to get a well matched can of paint.
    I need anniversary red and repsol orange.
    Thanks
    Gary

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. O sorry, link works. Must be me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I have an early 999 with DPG paint. In this case the RS bike paint using their base and top coat was too red. Auto paints direct 473.101 was very close. It’s on eBay somewhere for about a 14 a can. I resprayed an entire panel and most people would not be able to tell but it is just a fraction out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I would recommend finding an auto paint retailer with a good reputation locally, take them a representative panel and get them to make up an aerosol of a big name paint manufacturer from a colour analysis, and follow their advice on prep/ priming and final topcoat. That will compensate for the year to year variations in the base colours, the primer colour, the paint type etc.
    Then I would test it on the back of the panel before risking the panel front.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Yes do also try that. I did this as well. They used some kind of scanner on a flat bit of my panel. And I then compared all 3 samples I had, one from them, one RS and the one I mentioned earlier. I used painters test cards trying 2 and 3 layers on each as the colour changes slightly the thicker the paint is. This means you are probably going to throw away 30 quids worth of paint but if you want it right there’s no short cut. And goes without saying prep. It’s boring and takes ages but get it flat and take your time and it will be great when done. I’d never done it before and with some reading and patience it really isn’t that hard

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information