1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Rear Brake Disc Woes

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Mark9, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Went to fit the new to me rear spoked wheel on the Scrambler today but having a nightmare getting the rear disc off the original cast wheel, I’ve tried heating the bolts with a mini gas torch and the hub with a heat gun but absolutely not shifting using a T bar and then an impact gun, the Allen sockets are on the verge of going so if I carry on as I’m going they’ll strip, any tips?
    Another thought is to leave this disc on the cast wheel and get another disc (and phonic wheel) for the spoked wheel, if anyone has a scrambler 800 disc for sale I’d be interested! :)

2. I've had a hell of a job getting discs off Ducati wheels sometimes. Heat and an impact driver usually does it but in your case buying another disc might be the cheaper option rather than risk it.

3. Impact driver rather than an impact wrench

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 90545664-D33F-44FA-9D87-2C11C22ABFC2.jpeg
    Hi Derek, yes I agree, it’s just not worth the hassle trying to get this one off as much as anything, in fact I just got hold of a phonic wheel for £15 so I just need a disc and bolts now, on a brighter note I am liking the look of the spoked wheels on the bike, probably look even better with scrambler tyres but I want to try it on these road tyres first 5B134ED9-3A9A-43E4-9784-E728E42CDE7E.jpeg

5. Freeze spray will shrink bolt and break the locking compound. Re fit with loctite blue,
    heat will expand bolt but not move the hub which is just a big heat sink, actually gets more difficult to move and the locking compound resets when it cools.
    Always use an Allen socket key on you ratchet directly in line with the screw to test. Long arm Allen keys tend to move as you pull and deform the head.

I have the knuckles to prove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Nice wheels, where did you get them pls?

7. They are the wheels fitted as standard to the Scrambler Classic & Urban Enduro, I got them second hand from Neil at Cornerspeed, they were from a Scrambler he used to own, but there are several brand new sets on eBay at present, if it’s a Ducati dealer make them an offer, I did so before I found this set with Neil and they were all willing to accept £750 or less.

The seller below (Pro twins) offered these at £750 for example
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264031801601

#7 Mark9, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Thanks Mark, useful, I'm looking for a set of spoked wheels for a little project bike:)

9. Got all the bits on their way now so hopefully I’ll get it on the road by Saturday.

10. Also try tightening the bolts before loosening them... bike looks ace!

11. Agreed. I particularly like those polished tanks panels. I might do mine since the silver paint(?) finish now has a couple of small marks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks all.
    Derek the panels are anodised, it’s only a few microns deep but hard as hell, after about 2hours of rubbing down with 800 grit wet&dry I’d only removed 75% of it from 1 panel, at that point I thought stuff it and gave the panels to a local polisher, he charged £40, given that I would have had a lot of hours ahead of me with finer grit paper and polishing mops it was £40 well spent IMO

13. I had wondered if they were anodised although I'd heard elsewhere that they were painted. Good to know 'cause as you've found out it's pretty tough.

14. All back together now and went for a spin, I can feel the extra weight in the front wheel above 60mph, the bike feels more stable in a straight line, which is a good thing, I can feel more resistance (centrifugal, or is it centripetal!) when banking the bike at that speed also, not massively but it’s there, what I can’t figure out is the front of the bike feels higher!, I didn’t have time to take any measurements but it definitely feels higher , the continental is a 110/80 same as the MT60 so that’s surprising but I guess the profile could be different, I’ll check it out properly tomorrow, might have to drop the forks through the yokes a few mil to get the old riding position back, all in all though I’m pleased with the swap :)
    5301076E-FA14-4C4D-9176-38D27D47D27B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's the gyroscopic 'resistance' (to steering-axis rotation) that you're feeling because of the greater front-wheel rotating mass.

16. Yes, that.

17. I’ve got my old riding position back, raised the back approx 5mm, would’ve raise it more but only had 1 click left on the adjuster and lifted the forks through the yokes about 4mm, just nice now:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. im liking ya end can... like the spoked wheels as well.

19. Cheers Chizel, the end can is a Scorpion Serket with the original sticker peeled off and a Ducati tank sticker slapped on, at the time everyone told me it would peel off due to the heat, that was 2.5 years ago :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information