1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Brake

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by foz, Sep 26, 2017.

1. As per title, the back brake is useless on my diavel. I recently visited a 'dealer' who said that Ducati have huge engine braking, so the rear brake is irrelevant. I pointed out that that is useless when dabbing a non existent rear brake in traffic!! Is there a solution for this as I have about 25/30 mm of travel before it bites. I have adjusted the lever upwards to suit me, but right now its hopeless.

foz

#1 foz, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. So you are not alone however there are several things that you can do to improve the braking, adjusting the brake lever bite point is one. I have gone to Motul 660 brake fluid which has a much better tolerance to higher temperatures and upgraded the brake pads to a Brembo SC compound for my girlfriend's Diavel. I also unbolted the caliper and held it up as high as I could when bleeding to encourage any air in the system to get to the bleed nipple. A pain but the results are worth it. The only other thing that I was advised to do is ensure the ABS pump cycles after bleeding and the changes did get enough braking for the ABS to kick in. Hope this helps. Andy

3. I cant offer any actual solutions here. However, the rear on my Diavel is fine, obviously not as powerful as the front, but deffo slows the bike down as expected. I suggest trying what Andy above has suggested, or take it to a dealer. If it isn't up to scratch, this will be evident when MOT time comes around, as they test the retardation power of both the front and rear, and I assume there is a fail limit.

Stuart

4. Easy fix if it's the same as the 748 9** , take the rear caliper off the bottom of the disc and place on top of the discs and bleed it from there :upyeah:

5. Foz, do you use conventional/wax chain lube? If so get some brake cleaner and a can of Wurth dry chain lube, clean the disc and pads with the brake cleaner then clean/lubricate the chain using the Wurth dry lubricant and a rag to get all the excess lube off the chain and sprocket. Then take your bike for a drive and see how much better the back brake is, it takes a tiny splatter of conventional lube on the disc to render it useless. Use my back brake for slow speed control in traffic and the one time I had the bike serviced when they used normal chain lube I nearly ran into the back of a bus 2 miles from picking the bike up.

6. As Andy said the calliper needs to be taken off and turned upside down so the nipple is at the top, lift as hight as you can and bleed, you can actually do this without taking the rear wheel off by releasing the ties that hold the brake lines and loosen the plastic clamps on the top of the swing arm and roll it under and up the outside of the swing arm. It's a bit fiddly but depend if you have the tools to remove rear wheel and re torque it when re fitting.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information