1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Cylinder Missfire

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by freebird, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Hi All

The rear cylinder on my recently acquired 1998 750SS missfires at revs below 3000. The service history points to having been a long running issue with the carbs having been attended to on several occasions and even replaced at one point. I found the balance screw had fallen out and was nestling in the fins of the front pot when I went to check the balance, so that wasn't helping one bit. However on replacing it and balancing them, the fault remained.

Today, I used my strobe light and found the front pot was firing perfectly, but the rear was intermittent. My thoughts are the pick up coil might be the culprit, but I value the experience of the masses, so would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Glen

2. yes, does sound a lot like that Glen, but if you're lucky it could be something inextricably linked to the same pick-up, but far easier and cheaper to fix - i.e. - the connections to that pick-up can also come adrift and can also suffer from the insulation being compromised so instead shorting out. Both of these can be intermittent with similar symptoms to pick-up breaking down but if you see any fine cracks in the pick-up body then this pretty much confirms the former (as you suggested).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi,
    Take you have tried the simple things, like spark plugs, and swapping the coils to see if the fault transfers to the front cylinder?

4. Funny you should say that. The plugs are new but I just fitted them out of the box. However, the Haynes Manual states a plug gap of 0.6mm which is quite small for electronic ignition so I checked the rear one and it was at 1.0. I reset it and all seems well. I didn't look at the front one as it runs fine and I need to take the fairing off to get at it.

I can't help thinking that something might be weak to cause a missfire with a slightly wide plug gap though.

5. :upyeah:
    If it aint broke don't fix it
    glad you got it fixed

Do Not Sell My Personal Information