1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Rear Hub Bearings

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ChrisH, Jan 5, 2017.

1. My 1198 has done just over 16000miles, and after managing to get the rear wheel off, i notice that the bearings are very tight to move.
    If you span the back wheel it wouldn't keep spinning on it's own for more than say a 1/4 of a revolution.
    If is spin the bearings by hand it takes a lot of force to do so. They feel like they are on their way out.
    Does anyone know how to source replacement bearings or is it off to Ducati to pay for an entire hub assembly?
    I know the wheel and sprocket were over done, over 450nm of torque required to undo them so i think it's crushed the bearings.....Remember people, there's a reason why torque wrenches exist!

2. Are we talking just spinning the wheel or is the chain & sprocket still attached ? If it's just the wheel and the pads aren't touching it should definitely spin freely. Overtightening the wheel side shouldn't affect the bearings but sprocket side could. I'm sure I've read the rear hubs aren't serviceable :( @nelly should know for sure

3. One of my mates never uses a torque wrench as he "can just tell when it's right". :Wideyed: Needless to say, I wouldn't even cock my leg over one of his bikes, never mind buying one from him. :Nailbiting:

4. The hubs are serviceable to limit, ie regreasing. The spacer on the LHS can be pulled out with a bit of patience and fresh grease packed in. Bearings on RHS are open as the axle makes the inner race.
    The hubs recently came on to schedule at 15k miles for strip, clean and regrease so that may solve your problem. They're needle rollers so overtighten shouldn't crush. Most likely need greasing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I assume the 848/1098/1198 share the same hub?

6. Thanks @nelly I'll clean them and check them. There's a lot of grease around, but that might mean it's come out of where it should be!

7. Never had a problem with Ducati hub bearings but the MV is renowned for failed hub bearings.

The MV is supposed to have a new hub fitted after not that many miles. Most people just change the bearings and seals. I have not long done mine. The bearing that usually fails is the one nearest the wheel which is a very small double row ball bearing. The one nearest the sprocket is a needle bearing.
    The bearings in the MV are common bearings obtained from any Bearing stockist along with the seals

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. 848 is different as it runs the smaller wheel axle with 41/46mm nuts vs. the 55mm of the 1098/1198

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  9. Worth checking the hub clamp bolts aren't over tight to. 30nm is spec' but I've had them in where we've needed a breaker bar on them to free them up.
    They'd need to be bloody tight, but if the hub gets a squeeze the bearings could tighten

10. The hub clamp bolts felt fine, not hard to undo. It was the wheel nuts that were the issue.
    I just worry that they are compressing the bearings from the side if they are over-tightened

11. So the grease appears to have gone like syrup, so that's been cleared out and replaced, but the double ball race on the wheel side is toast. Barely able to spin it by hand, very stiff. Anyone know of a source for these?

#11 ChrisH, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  12. FYI, these guys stock the double row ball bearing:
    123Bearing - Online Bearing Expert
    It's the same SKF bearing as in the bike from the factory, part number is BAH-0175
    Inner dia: 51mm
    Outer dia: 72mm
    Width: 24mm

13. BAH-0175? they don't appear to stock them on a search?

14. Lose the - :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. #Paul Hickman which bit do you disagree with or is it all of it

16. The wheel nut will feel extremely tight, it's torqued to 230nm, or at least should be..

The only tightening force applied to the hub is from the swingarm pinch bolts torqued to 35Nm. The wheel slots on the axle which exerts no force on to the hub. The sprocket carrier has a similar design philosophy and should be torqued to 44Nm.

Sounds to me like the hub has probably serviced badly at some point with the wrong grease and is now kaput!!

Plenty available on ebay or a breakers. Or try Ducati direct, but maybe a little pricey.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information