1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Rear Hub Nut Loose Yet Pin Still Located?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by jj996, May 30, 2020.

1. I have just been getting my bike ready for the first ride of the year (2018 V4S) and noticed that my rear sprocket carrier was loose, when I checked the rear hub nut it was loose.
    I removed the locking pin and tightened it to 230Nm as advised by Ducati and my wheel turns but not freely ( you have to use quite a bit of force to turn it ) - the hub nut turned 2 full turns to tighten!!!
    My hub has always had a ticking noise from new but my Dealer has said there's nothing wrong with it.
    Does anyone have any idea whats wrong as I don't want to risk riding it in case something overheats and ceases?

2. Bearings collapsed.

The nut was tight, now the bearing is collapsed, it takes more turns to tighten. Also prob what's making the ticking sound and making it tight to turn the wheel

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeah, bearing has collapsed, had the same thing on my 848, span it off by hand even though the pin had been located

4. Thanks guys, the ticking noise has been there from new, the bike is almost out of warranty and has 3000 miles on it.

best not ride it tomorrow then :(

5. Think there was another new V4 or new multi with the same issue on here not long ago.

6. I was told it is pretty rare! However it’s likely it’s just a one off fault that’s been developing. I went in a new Audi A4 once that had a rear wheel bearing failure in less than 10k miles

7. too high torque of the eccenterbolts damages the bearings
    clicking sound...
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152835-9999.pdf

#7 aero, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I'm sure i read that Ducati have extended warranties for three months for those bikes whose warranty was about to expire.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information