1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Rear Seat Stuck

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Meeton, May 5, 2017.

1. I can't get my rear seat off.
    The key turns but the seat catch won't release. Does anyone have an easy solution?

2. Take riders seat off and you can access the cable I think

3. I have tried that mate. I can't pull the cable any more than the key can. I think the catch is just not releasing. Thanks for your help though.

4. With the key to release position and palm of hand on rear seat just apply forward pressure!

5. Thanks for your reply. I did try that but maybe I need to get angry with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nope. Still stuck, does anyone else have any advice please?

7. Can you undo the two bolts retaining the tail fairing the ones by the lock,prise the fairing a little to see if the locking mechanism is actually pulling the cable ?,if not then long nose grips on the cable bayonet,if it all working ok then i guess you may have to sacrifice the seat cover in a all or nothing attempt.

8. I took the front seat off. The mechanism is pulling the cable and I can't pull it anymore than the key can. I don't mind wrecking the rear seat as only had it on for tail pack for a short while. Just don't want to wreck any of the mechanism etc if I can help it.

9. Not trying to rain on the OPs parade but I really dont think discussing ways to defeat a key lock on an open forum is best dealt with here. Why not PM any suggestions to the OP. Yes brute force will doubtless work but that is not what he asked for. I realise it's not fort knox in terms of security but if any one has any tips to release the pillion seat pad, best keep them private in my view and not blurt them out publically.

10. I'm sure you've tried this but if you haven't maybe try to lubricate the lock a little with WD40, it may just provide a little more movement in the lock than you're getting right now. Whilst operating the lock via the key try different pressures i.e. pushing down and pulling up on the cowl!

11. Thanks for your reply. I have tried that. I've given up on it now. It's going in for a service in 2 weeks so I'll let the experts play with it.
    If anyone would like to know how I got on I'd better pm you. Just in case a criminal is on here trying to find out ways of loosening a stuck seat ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Hi, did you manage to sort this out? What went wrong?

13. My bet is the wire came off the lock mechanism.

14. Nope. They couldn't get it off without forcing it and didn't want to risk breaking anything. When I have time I'll start striping the rear and seeing where I can get in to limit the damage. Prob a winter job now.
    Any advice still welcome.

15. Good luck, hope you sort it out soon.

16. I note you can get your hand or a hook through the air vent from the rear to the mechanism.

17. Thanks mate

18. That's a good point I'll look into that. Cheers buddy.

19. I tend to use powdered graphite for locks when you get it sorted. As to the seat I had a similar thing on my ds passenger seat. It had been off so rarely that the fitting was tight, very tight and it did need lube on the lock, then a lil rocking either way for a few minutes and pushing down real hard as I turned the key

20. Makes sense. I'll give it a try. Cheers fella

Do Not Sell My Personal Information