1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Shock

Discussion in 'Ducati Paso' started by 88Sport, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hi Guys

I’m gradually fixing up my 750 Sport which I bought a couple of months ago. It’s a Japanese bike imported to Australia and I know a fair bit about its provenance but working through tidying it up.

[​IMG]

It has 17” wheel conversion with 900SL forks and Kehlin carbs and has had a major service so runs and handles well - did a track day with it and was able to show some much newer and bigger bikes the way home.

[​IMG]

The rear shock is proving harder to replace than I imagined. We are going to rebuild the existing shock but I hear that a 900ss from the 90s bike works well and lifts the rear a little to speed up handling.

I’d love to hear more on that front from anyone that’s replaced the stock unit, with what and what did you have to do to get it to fit (if anything). I’m resisting buying a new ohlins unit (seems you can still buy one new) but what else people have done.

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi 88S.
    As @cookster said in my wanted ad thread, Nitron R1 are extremely good value currently.
    From what I heard, unless you are planning on racing, and expect to be at the sharp end, you are unlikely to need more.
    Before you buy anything, I would check your shock is actually the same length and spec as the 900ss shock, as Ducati do strange “parts bin” stuff all the time.
    Cheers,
    Jon

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yep I'd forgot I'd been there and posted. Nitron looks good. Guess I could go with one of their less fancy units.

• Like Like x 1
  4. There was a thread on the old Yahoo SS group about replacing the SS unit with a s/h unit from a Fireblade.
    Allegedly it was a great improvement

• Like Like x 1
  5. For completeness, and to help anyone else searching for a replacement I finally found a company in Adelaide - YSS (Your Suspension Shop) that made up a shock to spec (they made it 10mm longer and also added height adjustment, and has rebound/preload. The shock is based on HyperPro internals. I can't speak highly enough about them, Walter was very helpful and had the shock to me very quickly (4 days). It fitted perfectly. Very happy with the results as it lifts the back enough for me to drop the forks back through the triple which let's the front work better IMHO.

At $799 AUD plus postage that would look like decent value in the UK and US given the exchange rate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information