1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Rear Splash Guard

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wiseric, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Thought I'd remove the rear splash guard as I'm not a big fan of the looks and since I'm a fair weather rider only now it has to go. Was surprised how heavy it felt till i realised it was full of water. Is this a common thing or just a one off with my bike. Will need to get a chain guard though to help keep the lube from the chain off the rear wheel.
    I know it's handy in the wet but my Mrs is normally with me so my back is covered. :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Just use Wurth dry lube, I run without the ugly guard (or rear footpegs and boxes for that matter) and I never get spray from chain using that :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. yep mine is always full of water, and now I never bother putting it back on

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, just found my can of dry lube in the garage so as soon as i've given the chain a good clean I'll stick to that.

5. "Dry lube"? Doesn't sound much fun.

6. Don't knock it till you tried it @Pete1950 o_O

7. Jeyzus, I took that thing off and it was catastrophic. The shit up me back, on me lid was unbelievable, I were everywhere a tell thi. Put it back on, I can live with it.

8. Did you have a tail tidy on? Cause I don't find it too bad?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I have a slightly different way of looking at it I want one but it will not fit the 950

• Like Like x 1

10. Nah, I've lifted me plate a bit though. I've become blind to it now. I definitely don't want the stuff on these roads on me, poop and all sorts of stuff falling out of trailers. Nasty.

11. I've taken mine off, didn't like the looks at all.

But I'm going to put it back on, I'm not happy with how exposed the chain is.

If only there was an alternative available that covered the back of the sprocket but didn't have that monstrosity over the rear wheel.

12. I've taken mine off, didn't like the looks at all.

But I'm going to put it back on, I'm not happy with how exposed the chain is.

If only there was an alternative available that covered the back of the sprocket but didn't have that monstrosity over the rear wheel.

13. Didn't like the look of mine either...so I took the saw to it.
    DSC_0055.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I'm still leaving it off for the time being. I wonder if owners of the 950 get caked in road poo by not having it. If the splash guard was that effective surely it would on the 950 as well. The tail unit is not hugely dissimilar from the 1200 after all but maybe that subtle difference makes all the difference.
    Anyway mine's staying off till it dries out... could be a while.

15. The 950 is not powerful enough to throw up road crud that far, so not needed o_O:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. What are those blanks?

17. No Blanks, the raised bits are where the legs headed off round the tyre. Just cut em off with a reciprocating saw, filed it down and painted it satin black.

Still keeps the chain lube off the bike but gets shot of that awful rainguard.

18. I tried riding without mine for a while, but after a couple of wet rides on dirty roads, put it back on, couldn't believe the crap that came over me and the back of the bike without it

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Agreed, as soon as I got my bike last year I ripped off the guard - all my previous bikes didn't have one so thought there was no need here - plus it looks sooo much better! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information