1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Rear Stepped Out

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Snips, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hi,

Not sure what I'm expecting in response to this thread, but maybe someone can offer some advice from the vague description I'm about to give...

I went out on my 1098 on Sunday, nice sunny, dry day. After the recent wet weather, I was aware that a lot of gravel had been washed on to the roads particularly at the bottom of slopes and in dips. Not least because of that, I just went for a relaxed ride out not pushing hard or anything.

Anyway, I went down a familiar NSL country lane, nice bends, gently downhill. Knowing I would reverse the route, I did a recce of the other side of the road on my way down, and I noticed some gravel on the other side of the road on one bend, so made a note of it.

At the bottom of the hill I turned around and came back up the hill. All was going well, I wasn't going too fast, around 60 mph, and I was riding fine, and I avoided the gravel I'd noted going downhill.

Then coming out of one left hand band, I opened up the throttle from about 4K revs, quite abruptly for a bit of quick acceleration, but not brutally. At this point, the revs flared and the back-end stepped out quite badly (at least it felt a lot). Fortunately, the rear then gripped again, but then the front went into a tank slapper. I was mostly just a passenger through this, but thankfully, the steering damper seemed to do its thing, and the head shake calmed down and I was able to continue riding.

It really caught me out, and I wanted to know what happened - had I missed some gravel?

It took me a while to find somewhere to turnaround again, and go back down the hill to investigate. But, because I was a bit shaken, I wasn't quite sure which bend it had happened on, but there was one smaller patch of gravel in the middle of the lane I had missed previously on my way down, but it didn't look like it had just been disturbed by a 1098 tyre.

The tyres were warm, and have plenty of tread (about half way through their wear).

It's really dinged my confidence, as I was taking it fairly easy, and after years riding Monsters and this year riding the 1098, I've never had anything like that before.

If it was the gravel, wouldn't the front have given way first?

Should I always wait until the bike is upright and straight before applying more throttle?

My next bike will have traction control.

2. You need to chop it in for a real world bike.

Something like an 848 will do.

3. i think you missed some gravel..........:rolleyes:

4. /\

5. Always feels like it slides a mile but in reality it doesn't.
    Bit of gravel, shiny Tarmac. Who knows. Don't worry about it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I had a 2 wheel slide on Exmoor last year and have had a few front end moments over the years. I never went back to look but it felt like gravel or Diesel as it was like being on ice for a second. Both wheels slid almost together and out came my leg expecting to go down but it gripped again and panic over.

Lots of power and only 2 wheels so anything reducing grip is a potential hazard. When it happens I normally have a quick look for anything obvious that I should be wary of and then if the next 2 corners or so feel normal grip wise, the thought is lost and normality resumed. If it's wet I take it as a sign to knock it off 10% for safety sake.

I think everyone has the unexpected slip at some point, it's because it's unexpected that it wakes you up big time for a few miles. I'm sure it feels worse than it is as my mates who were in front and behind me were completely oblivious. I expected tales of me being speedway style as that is what it felt like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Im with everybody else, its just one of those things. At 4krmp doing I would guess about 40mph, that rear wheel is still rotating at quite a lick. It wouldn't take much for it to lose traction for a fraction of a second, spinning up briefly and sending the revs up. Little bit of gravel, some fluid on the road, some leaves anything really. If it was really bad you would have been highsided when the tyre regripped, or more likely low sided
    Events like this are why riding is a skill and driving is not. Its all part of the game, a lesson and nothing to worry about

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. iv had this twice now with the 848 on S.C on the same corner about 3mls of straights from my house, i can go a lot quicker on the fugly. i have just changed to Michelin so yet to test.

9. Ive had this happen to me quite a few times. Each time it happened so quick I never had a chance to react. Which is probably what saved me as ive kept the throttle pinned and the bike straightened up with only a set of sore nadgers to show for it.

Ive also lost the front on gravel but i managed to pick the bike up and run straight on, over other side of road and just stopped short of a hay field. As did my mate in front and my mate behind. The guy in the winnebago coming the other way reacted and slowed. Fortunately we were only doing legal speeds on a french department road.

I lost the front in Thonin En Bains and that happed in a microsecond and slammed me on the deck. I was only doing 2mph.

Shit happens.

10. Great thing about 848 is the chassis is so good it will take care of it before you know its happened. If there is no oil, no flat tyre or any other external reason, go go ride your bike

• Like Like x 1
  11. i think my riding style is more suited to the fugly. i had to get the sports bike out my system will i keep it, dont know. still want a 749 tho.

12. Finm..fugly will be more forgiving in the rear I'd imagine so it may do the same (could be road surface) but you wont feel it

13. i kind of like the way it feels like the bike is twisting? if that makes sense. just wanted a bit more boom boom coming out of the corners. certainly i feel a lot more confident on it. the corner in question is a 60mph 90 degree boot scraper loves it. i know eventually i will come off there. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. More boom? Buy an 1198, shove a slipper on it and POW! Eat my shorts sucker...

• Like Like x 1
  15. can you put a bigger engine in a 1100s?

16. Also bear in mins the boots go down far quicker on a fugly than a sports bike. Far less lean angle.

17. need to get smaller boots. :smile:. i rarely go above the ton i need my license bad so just a bit more push please.

18. Chop em both in for a 1200 multi ;)

19. 749 and a 1200 multy, if blair is reading this he will be rubbing his hands together already.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information