1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Rear Subframes

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bobhenry999, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Guys,

I have a 97 748BP that the previous owner fitted an SP seat unit to. He also changed the subframe for a silver (Steel) one.
    He kindly let me have the old (Gold) BP subframe.

I don`t like the fact that a short section of the silver subframe is visible, so was going to re-spray it gold to match the frame.
    When I compared the 2 subframes they looked identical to me apart from the colour. Are they the same, or am I missing something?

If they are the same, I can just swap them over with no need to re-spray the silver one.

I hope that all makes sense !

Bob

2. if they look the same possibly they are? pretty sure there were after market mono seat units that fit on the bp subframes and this may be what you have..

3. The difference should be the bp subframe will have bolt holes for pillion foot rests and the mono subframe will not. The mono should also be aluminium alloy. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. you can get (or could get) mono seat units for bp sub frames though?

5. Monoposta seat units were fitted to bp subframes and I am still trying to get to the bottom out the later 996s monopostas which appear to have been fitted with the bp subframe as standard. Andy

#5 Android853sp, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Guys,

Just been downstairs to the garage, and as Android (Sorry don`t know your name) said, the only difference is that the BP one has the bolt holes for the pillion footrests, so I am going to have to re-pray the SP one gold after all, as the brackets for the footrests would be visible.

So thanks to you all for your help.

Bob

7. is there no differance in the ecu position? or accomadation for it?

8. Only between the early P8 and the later 1.6M but both still under the back of the seat above the end cans. Andy

9. Andy,
    No, they are identical. All the brackets and holes line up exactly.
    Bob

10. Monoposto subframes have the latch in a different (higher) position than the biposto subframe. If you have a mono seat unit on a bp frame (like I do) the latch on the base of the seat unit will have a s bent frame for the latch to accommodate the bp subframe. With the footrests undone it looks OK and I can swap seat units and bolt on the footrests in 10 minutes if I want to take a passenger

11. e The BP subframes are the same throughout the range and only the colour varied. Even the 998 Biposto used a 748-996 style subframe and the ECU on that model is situated on the battery box.

The 748/9*6 Mono subframe is different in that it has the ECU situated at the back of the subframe near the seat latch area and it is bolted across the frame. On a genuine Monoposto model, the rear part of the loom is longer to allow the ECU to be sited further back.

Hence the problem often found when fitting a Mono seat and subframe to an original Biposto. If the bike has the longer rear part of the loom then converting from Mono to Biposto is easy but if you have the reverse then the loom needs to be altered or swapped.

A Mono seat unit is easy enough to fit to a Biposto rear subframe but requires spacers, a different seat bracket or a modified one often seen on eBay.

I have posted about this before so a search should throw up further information. I have done a number of seat conversions on these models and the biggest snag is the wiring loom length depending on what and how you want to convert to.

12. The BP subframes are the same throughout the range and only the colour varied. Even the 998 Biposto used a 748-996 style subframe and the ECU on that model is situated on the battery box.

The 748/9*6 Mono subframe is different in that it has the ECU situated at the back of the subframe near the seat latch area and it is bolted across the frame. On a genuine Monoposto model, the rear part of the loom is longer to allow the ECU to be sited further back.

Hence the problem often found when fitting a Mono seat and subframe to an original Biposto. If the bike has the longer rear part of the loom then converting from Mono to Biposto is easy but if you have the reverse then the loom needs to be altered or swapped.

A Mono seat unit is easy enough to fit to a Biposto rear subframe but requires spacers, a different seat bracket or a modified one often seen on eBay.

I have posted about this before so a search should throw up further information. I have done a number of seat conversions on these models and the biggest snag is the wiring loom length depending on what and how you want to convert to.

13. the subframes are identicle apart from colour, you will have 2 25mm spacers that convert the BP subframe to take the single seat,, a genuine single seater will have an alloy subframe of which there is 2 sorts, but you dont need to worry about those

Do Not Sell My Personal Information