1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Wheel Nuts

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Lumbux, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Has anyone drilled and lock wired thier rear nuts? My 750 came undone one-day, bent the chain tensioner bolt, spat the chain off, near home luckily but made a mess of the swing arm.

2. That is a really good idea, it's a funny set-up anyway - the way you have to carefully balance how much thread is each side of the wheel so the nut gets full surface area. Some kind of full locking device on each side/both sides would remove this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have previously. A tricky job but I did it as I've had them come loose years ago (aftermarket nuts that were not quite correct) and chew the swingarm

4. Thanks gents, a little project for this evening then, if I can find my lock wire!!

5. This is where I drilled, its tricky starting it cause if the angle and I broke a few drill bits iirc it was a 2mm drill bit

Screenshot_20210315-124829_SketchBook.jpg

6. Have just done this??

16158388745011579539146329451449.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ooooo! Reading with interest. Just got me a pair of lock wire pliers and 10m of s/s wire. I am lucky on my 848 as the carrier bolts have mushroom heads just for this purpose. Admittedly its a wee bit OTT but what the hell, my diary ain't exactly brimming with things to divert me...

8. Hmmm, I'm going to sound a bit damning... That's not how lockwire is meant to be used. You've done a one-time thing (most unlikely to tighten again to the same orientation) with the wire potentially in shear. Lockwiring is done to prevent rotation (wire in tension) by anchoring it to something else solid.
    It's better than nothing;)

9. Proper lock wiring is an art

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. you could now use a suitable split pin in it's place. :upyeah:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ive got this kit for drilling nuts and bolts, may be of interest. 20210320_145329.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information