1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Wheel Tight

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by CP012, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Anyone ever experienced a real stiff rear wheel after riding? It’s a new bike and it was only its second outing but I came in Saturday and put it on the rear paddock stand. Went to spin the wheel to give it a wipe down and lube the chain but it was really tight. I thought it may have been the chain tightening as it was new, but the free play seemed ok, the rear brake wasn’t binding either. Never had it before on any of the other bikes. I’ve always been able to spin it fairly freely. Just make me wonder that if it is like that normally then it’s not going to be doing much for the engine. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? It’s my first Ducati so wasn’t sure if it was the norm?

2. If it's a new bike I would definitely phone the supplier as I would think they would want to check it out going by your description of the problem. It's a single sided swing arm isn't it?

3. Yeah that’s right. Very strange. You have to use both hands to turn it. It shouldn’t be like that

4. will p.m. as controversial.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Assuming your SSA stand is the bearing type that enables the wheel to spin freely, there must be a problem. Dealer issue immediately I'd say - for a new bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Put the bike on its side stand and in neutral, get the rear wheel off the floor by lifting the subframe and see if the rear wheel spins ok then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Drop the caliper off....then try...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. From my experience with SSSA on 916 then:

If not a dragging brake, it could be the hub's been overtightened causing the bearing to tighten up?

I think this was why chain adjusting tools were eventually deleted from the SSSA tool kit (other than saving a few quid), because they wanted you to take it to the dealer for chain tensioning due to some people overtightening the pinch bolts and causing bearing failure?

Failing that could it be a cush drive separating and catching on the hub, although that should be evident by metal debris plus, I would hope that they had addressed this issue long ago...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information