1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasonably Priced Bike To Bike Intercoms (with Ear Plugs)

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by damodici, Aug 27, 2019.

1. I've a Santander through to Caen trip coming up with a bunch of 10 lads, the group are majority work friends of my friend (mainly the fire service) and my friend thought it might be useful for us to both have an intercom so we can try and manage the complexities of 10 bikers taking the right route.

Normally I'm quite happy with a variety of arm gestures, flailing them around whilst niavely screaming directions in my helmet as though people can hear me over my exhuast and eventually (insert XXX minutes) we all seem to go the correct direction, but this time he reckons we should try an intercom....how very modern o_O

Firstly, and without meaning to sound tight, I'd rather not spend a huge amount of money on them as its going to be used once in a blue moon, not regularly at all.

Secondly i like to ride with ear plugs, and I'm not convinced that intercoms would work well if I've a bright orange squishy bit of foam crammed down my ear??

Presumably the easy answer is finesse the arm flailing, but if anyone has experience of some of these cheaper intercoms and also wears ear buds id be happy to hear your thoughts....about intercoms, NOT the other weird stuff you want to get off your chest :eyes:

2. My Cardo Packtalk Bold works fine with ear plugs. In fact at full volume without plugs, it's painfully loud, but you can turn it down.

Also for a group of riders, the DMC system works very well.

The downside is, it's not at the budget end of the market at around £200 for a single unit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks, admittedly way more than we'd want to spend between us for this trip (£400/pair) but the fact it's loud enough to hear over ear buds is reassuring.

Hopefully some cheaper ones are nearly as loud

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just need Shoei or similar for the speakers...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interphone f3mc I use daily with ear plugs - and have used frequently with pillion both wearing ear plugs, and still doesn’t need to be close to highest volume setting. new version is f5mc (£150ish?) so older f3 is cheaper if you can find it.

Have to say i have only used it with a paired unit, haven’t used the “any-com” function so if you’re paring with other systems in the group ymmv.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks, ill take a look at that as well

7. Just watched this chap rave about these Freedcon

https://medium.com/@richardjeaton/b...ntercom-bluetooth-headset-review-332432377e3b

Listening to him the newer ones with a screen must be these i guess

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-800M-...145796?hash=item2610a72184:g:wKcAAOSwiJ1c7d3m

They seem very cheap, maybe too cheap? He does seem rather happy with them though, guess these are all things you won't know until you stick them in your lid and ride off, knowing my luck I'll get some truckers radio through my ears everyday :)

8. Why put an LCD screen on the side of your head? :thinkingface:

I use a Scala Cardo Q1 teamset with the missus. No good for your application as the range is purely pillion/rider. That said, I do ride with earplugs and can hear over them perfectly. It's when I forget the earplugs and suddenly go into shock when music starts blaring unhindered

9. Pass, i guess so that people in cars can see what radio station your listening to?

Honestly though i have no idea about these, my main requirements are -

Cheap so if we never use them again its no loss
    They work within reasonable distance (1km should be fine if not less)
    I can turn it off and sing in my helmet without my mate getting tried of my beautiful ballads

10. My touring buddy and I used these for a couple of years before upgrading to Sena 10U intercoms. They worked very well for bike to bike comms with the range, line of sight, close to that specified. They weren't great in terms of switching between our respective sat navs and back to bike to bike though that might have been down to our devices and I suspect, in the main, my mate's iPhone that he uses for navigation. The antenna broke on his too but he's less than sympathetic with his kit.

If you and your mate are leading and tail-ending a group of 10 you'll likely find that you'll be out of range most of the time, especially where there's scenery in the way or in town with buildings. If you're just in the group and less spaced out then they should be fine. This applies to all BT headsets though there are some that can daisy-chain through a similarly equipped group. If you are lead and TEC then you'd ideally need to look at a decent PMR set-up. Have done this leading and TECing with slightly dodgy 4w PMRs and external antennas and achieved workable real world 5km range. Not cheap at the end of the day once you've assembled the full kit though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Yes.
    Nice compact units. Pair 1st time with phone other headset etc.
    Holds charge very well. Unlike Senna sm5 we had, useless that was, though I realise basic and outdated.
    Even good for music that actually comes through stereo from my Samsung s8, not something have done often but the feature is there.
    Also have Copilot Europe on the phone so can get audio sat nav if I want.

12. I've used the freedcom units for a few years now, and for the money, they're excellent. Be aware that the one that you linked to can simultaneous pair with three things:
    1) Your phone/GPS
    2) Friend A
    3) Friend B

But it won't allow you and both friends to chat together - you've got to switch between them. This worked reasonably well for me just recently when four of us all paired up, and through switching between pairings we could communicate effectively enough between all four of us.

Freedcom also have a larger unit that can do multi-way comms - I bought three of these last year for a trip, but found that it was a bit unreliable, so I tend to stick with the smaller point-to-point units.

Mike

13. I think the ones I linked to were similarly afflicted, you could switch between users, IIRC, but only speak to one at a time. No group chat. As we were riding just as a pair that wasn't an issue. The full duplex nature of BT comms was a revelation after using half duplex PMR though, much more natural speech and no press to talk malarkey. Where PMR was a big win though was universal compatibility across manufacturers (still an Achilles heel of BT systems), practically infinite group size and the generally better range (though the cheap shonky stuff from Maplins was probably worse...).

14. interphone f5mc and they do fitment for a shoe and they do upgraded speakers for a shoei....ive got an xspirit iii and the ones from another shoei helmet fit perfectly.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information